Speedometer Stopped Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer Stopped Working

During hot summers days, after a few kilometers, the speed indication is oscillating, always indicating a speed lower than the actual speed. When the Cruise control is engaged, the throttle pedal also oscillates. Sometimes the speedometer stops to work, the odometer also stops. I replaced the Rear Differential speed sensor, and I still have the problem. 4WD lights sometimes flashes 5 times at 2 minutes intervals. Does the speedometer uses another sensor instead of rear diff ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone I've ran into a dead end and hope someone will have any ideas. I have a 1996 ford explorer 2 door by 4.0 4x4 and I'm having an issue with my speedometer not working. I've put in a new abs sensor and vss sensor and bought a new speedometer cluster. Checked all the fuses and none are blown. And my speedometer still don't work. Any ideas?

I'm in a similar boat.

2001 explorer sport 4x4. Bought it from
Someone who had it sitting for a year.

Cluster all works with exceptions of some lights out, the odometer, trip meter, and speedometer.

My 98 mustang had a odometer / trip meter issue and it was a common issue being a sprocket that is known to break down over time. I'm not gonna rule that out as an issue. The speedometer might be the reason they parked it tho.

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas.

This thread spans 10 years and offers no solution for a flaky speedo with everything else working.

Someone here knows and they're just not telling.

Having a speedometer issue on my 96 Explorer .. Speedometer wasn't working so I replaced the VSS sensor now speedo only works when accelerating? As soon as you let off the gas .. drops back down to zero. Any ideas?

Having a speedometer issue on my 96 Explorer .. Speedometer wasn't working so I replaced the VSS sensor now speedo only works when accelerating? As soon as you let off the gas .. drops back down to zero. Any ideas?
Sounds like a combo of not aligned properly and/or worn loose parts. Make sure the sensor is plugged in securely. Also make sure it is seated in the pumpkin properly. I don't remember if it can get put in 180 degrees off. it really shouldn't but just in case.

Thanks jp450 .. ya sensor is installed correctly .. think I have traced it down to a bad battery, which stinks because just bought the battery about a month ago. Threw a meter on it and it has at least one bad cell. IDK crossing fingers :dunno:

Back