• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer Stopped Working

ScootC873

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
Hi, I have a 1998 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC V6.All the other guages are working fine but the Speedometer stopped working.I bought a speed sensor but the one I purchased is incorrect there is nowhere on the transmission I can find one.I was told that the ABS/Speed sensor on top of the rear diff is what drives the Speedo but I find it hard to believe that the Speedometer sensor is Magnetic driven? Any help would be appreciated.
regards,
scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The speedometer on the OBD-II trucks is indeed driven electronically, the speed sensor in your rear diff is used by the ABS and also the computer for speed. Should also be driving your speedometer, but I am not familiar with the 98's specifically my 97 uses two speed sensors, my 96 uses a cable and dual sensors.

for most years previous to yours the rear diff stator ring and sensor were only for the ABS, but this changed and it is used for both ABS and PCM speed signal.

Does your cruise control still work? this can tell you if it is a speed sensor issue or a speedometer (gage) issue.
Also if the speed sensor itself is bad you should have a MIL

It is part of the RABS system on the top of the rear diffy.

Welcome to the site!

section525 said:
It is part of the RABS system on the top of the rear diffy.

Welcome to the site!

So by replacing this I should get my speedo back?Has anyone had this problem before? thanks for all the fast responses and help.
regards,
scott

Yeah. My buddy has a late 90s Mazda B2020032991 or whatever. His speedo wasn't working so I swapped in a speed sensor from my '99 V8 and it worked perfect.

410Fortune said:
Does your cruise control still work? this can tell you if it is a speed sensor issue or a speedometer (gage) issue.
Also if the speed sensor itself is bad you should have a MIL

What is a MIL and yes the cruise control does work.

Would the MIL or the ABS light or maybe both turn on if the rear diffy speed sensor is bad?

A little while back someone on the board had a similar problem. Turned out to be a wire cut by a "protective" cover. Maybe he can chime in and let you know where to look.

Does your Odometer work?

Is your ABS light on?

There is a fuse that controls the ABS and the speedometer. When I fooled around trying to disable my ABS by removing the fuse, I lost the speedometer at the same time. Tach and all the other gages still worked fine. You might want to double check that the fuse isn't blow.

stubborn1 said:
Is your ABS light on?

There is a fuse that controls the ABS and the speedometer. When I fooled around trying to disable my ABS by removing the fuse, I lost the speedometer at the same time. Tach and all the other gages still worked fine. You might want to double check that the fuse isn't blow.

I was told by the dealer that in 1998 they did away with the VSS and the Speedometer is controlled by the ABS control module under the hood on the left side attached to the ABS pump.Has anyone ever heard of this?I highly doubt it is a wireing issue but ya never know.
regards,
scott

I found an e-mail from a guy who had a similar problem.

look at the lower firewall junction box on the drivers side. There is a bundle of wires and in it is a wht/yel wire. make sure its not broken.

jp450 said:
I found an e-mail from a guy who had a similar problem.

look at the lower firewall junction box on the drivers side. There is a bundle of wires and in it is a wht/yel wire. make sure its not broken.

I gave up it is at the dealer now.Ouch this is gonna hurt I'm sure

Sometime you gotta do what you gotta do... ;)

Similar Problem

I had my speedometer go out on a cross-country trip but all my other gages continued to work and so did the cruise control. I drove around for six months in this state and finally spotted a replacement cluster and purchased it on eBay. Well, everything was fine once more with everything working. Then as if by magic, after working the day before, the cruise control died. Is my problem with the cluster or the engagement sensor in the back. If it is the sensor, does anyone have a part number? This is a 4.0L 1996 auto, Ex Spt without 4-wheel. Thanks.

hey man i was mudding some time a while back and my speedo all of a suddens topped working also .. haha but i took it to my cousin who works at the ford dealership and he got someone under there and said the sensor was dissconnected.. i could not tell and couldnt see a wire hanging or anything but he said thats all it was.. just tell them you think it might be broken they didnt charge me anything to plug it back in :D but yea i think it was because a stick got stuck up under my car and i pulled it out kept on playing and didnt notice till i got on the highway..

im' having the same issues. speedo, odometer, cruise control does not work. replaced rear sensor still no fix. also the tach seems like it doesn't match the engine revs. anyone know how i can fix this.

Gage Cluster

:usa: Are you the original owner of the vehicle? I ask this because there is a chance the the cluster was changed with other than the correct cluster for your year and finally had enough and quit working. I put in a cluster for a 95 Explorer and experienced the same issues you are having with your tac. Everything else worked fine, just the tac was out of control. I finally got tired of this malfunction; it would redline before shifting to the next gear (auto). I went back and took my original cluster and I selectively put in components from the 95 cluster and now everything works perfectly. Yes, that mysteriously includes the cruise control. Go figure; it has been working perfectly for a couple of months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had my friend check everything for me. .allo sensors are working but the speedo is not reading the sensors. the ecu knows what the sensor is reading but the speedo doesn't work.

Back