Sport damaged damaged in transit, need to build another one! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport damaged damaged in transit, need to build another one!

Motoarzan

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014
So, I was supposed to pick up my 2014 Explorer Sport this very weekend. I purchased it mid July and been waiting 9.5 weeks so far. Got the call from the dealer today expecting them to say it finally arrive and will soon be ready for pickup.
Instead it seems as though the vehicle has fallin' off the truck and is damaged as such that they have to build me a new vehicle :(
WTF.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what your build date was? I ask because quite a few of us with Sports ordered in July and built the week of Aug 4-10 had mysterious delays of 2-3 weeks in getting a delivery for what was apparantly some kind of inspection by Ford (after the cars left the factory but before they arrived at the dealership) to see if something (never told exactly what) was wrong or if the car could be delivered.

I ordered it July 18th...went into production Sept 1st.
Would have been approx a week in production from start to finish and then another 2 weeks in transit from Chicago to Ontario Canada.

I heard it took so long to go into production because 1. A shortage of parts to build the "sport" and 2. They are building them in batches (Queue up the orders and then build "sports" for the next week or so type of thing).

Would have been approx a week in production from start to finish and then another 2 weeks in transit from Chicago to Ontario Canada.

I heard it took so long to go into production because 1. A shortage of parts to build the "sport" and 2. They are building them in batches (Queue up the orders and then build "sports" for the next week or so type of thing).

Hi Motoarzan,

My name is Saskia and I work for the Ford of Canada Social Media Team. Crystal has passed your information along to me. I heard about your situation and I am here to help. Was your dealership able to provide a new order number? If yes, please send it to me in a private message.

Saskia

Thats different then when I was at Chicago Assembly a year or so ago. I saw all models coming down the line. Taurus, MKZ, Explorers, Interceptors.

Almost a different vehicle each time.

I thought they would run a batch of the same colour at least to use the same paint in the robot sprayers but its wild to watch them spray one vehicle, then in literally seconds they clean themselves and get on to another colour.

If you ever get the opportunity to do a plant tour its amazing.

Even in Dearborn MI you can do the F150 Red Rouge Truck Plant Tour as the plant is designed for tours in connection with the Henry Ford Museum.

For a car enthusiast it like going to Disneyland.

Instead it seems as though the vehicle has fallin' off the truck and is damaged as such that they have to build me a new vehicle :(
WTF.

Happens to me all the time.

No, wait......its me that falls off the truck.

Thats different then when I was at Chicago Assembly a year or so ago. I saw all models coming down the line. Taurus, MKZ, Explorers, Interceptors.

I thought they would run a batch of the same colour at least to use the same paint in the robot sprayers but its wild to watch them spray one vehicle, then in literally seconds they clean themselves and get on to another colour.

The nature of my job here in Ontario Canada puts me on the plant floor every couple weeks at GM where they build the equinox/terrain and Toyota where they make the corolla/matrix/rav4/Lexus rx350 and the old ford plant that used to build the old crown Vic cop cars since closed.

It really is an amazing process and I fully understand the "flex manufacturing" concept of accommodate multiple vehicles all at once. However; I heard that due to the unique garnishings, the engine and other features, build process and a limitation of supply of unique parts that they build the "Sport" in "batches".

Can anyone who either works at the plant or directly knows someone that does confirm if the "Sport" is randomly tucked in on the line as an odd one here and there or if they are in fact built in "batch" runs.

And, if batch runs approx how long between them...couple days, weeks, month?and approx how many per batch. 50, 100, 1,000?

Im in Dearborn on October 15th for a Ford event I will ask then.

Even in Dearborn MI you can do the F150 Red Rouge Truck Plant Tour as the plant is designed for tours in connection with the Henry Ford Museum.

You can do a plant tour of the Chicago plant?

Back