sport gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sport gear

boelteq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
When would you use sport gear? When going on dirt road and up hill In snow/ice I've never had trouble with just picking the snow mode in terrain management. Should you use sport gear with snow mode?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you need more distrubtion of power to all 4 wheels.

When would you use sport gear? When going on dirt road and up hill In snow/ice I've never had trouble with just picking the snow mode in terrain management. Should you use sport gear with snow mode?
The "S" or Sport designation is another word for Manual operation in which the paddle shifters can be used. In the 2013 Manual it says you should have an "M".
Extensive manual control can be achieved by moving the shifter to the M (Manual) position.

Please add the trim level of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be very useful info to have at times when replying to your posts.

Peter

The "S" or Sport designation is another word for Manual operation in which the paddle shifters can be used. In the 2013 Manual it says you should have an "M".
Extensive manual control can be achieved by moving the shifter to the M (Manual) position.

Please add the trim level of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be very useful info to have at times when replying to your posts.

Peter
So you don't have to use the paddle shifters if you select S mode?

No you don't HAVE to use the paddles in S mode, if you do use them it holds the gears longer vs. the computer doing it for you.
For me I use "S" when getting on the FWY, in town when turning left at a busy intersection, longer climbs going up hill to prevent back and forth shifting from the trans/computer. It's nice how it "tightens up" the steering, throttle response and shifts"

No you don't HAVE to use the paddles in S mode, if you do use them it holds the gears longer vs. the computer doing it for you.
For me I use "S" when getting on the FWY, in town when turning left at a busy intersection, longer climbs going up hill to prevent back and forth shifting from the trans/computer. It's nice how it "tightens up" the steering, throttle response and shifts"

Wow, i never knew that it Sport mode it would automatically change gears for me. I thought that If I switch into it, I will have to manually shift the paddles on the steering wheel to manually switch the gears.

Yeah if you DON'T use the paddles it will shift for you just at higher RPM's/holding gears longer but once you have used them you will need to unless you go back to D and then that will reset if you choose to go back to S.

My paddle works , but the +. - tab on the shifter doesn’t???
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I didn't realize that you could have both. I always thought it was either one or the other.

Peter

Thats the SelectShift or whatever it was called. Check for codes. The shifters use cheap wiring. The shift to park issue is caused by sloppy connection.

Thats the SelectShift or whatever it was called. Check for codes. The shifters use cheap wiring. The shift to park issue is caused by sloppy connection.
So the Sport has both Select Shift and paddle shifters?

Peter

I assuming Ford went away with this in the 2014 models. I would use S mode in 2015 Fusion so it would improve the throttle response and it changed the shifting points. My 14 Sport only has M and it forces me to have to paddle shift.

I wonder if this is something that can be changed in Forscan to bring the S mode back.

Back