Sport Oil questions & Analysis | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Oil questions & Analysis

Thanks Peter, not sure why this thread didn't show up under the search. Definitely alot of great info in this thread. Looks like Mobil 1 5w30 is the way to go. Just curious does anyone run rotella t6 on their sport? Been using it on my powerstroke, and bikes for years and have never had any problems. I usually change between 5,000-7,000, but oil analysis shows it can go to 10,000 as mentioned with Mobil 1 on the sport earlier in this thread.

Just an fyi, T6 is no longer approved by Ford to use since CK-4 standards came out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an fyi, T6 is no longer approved by Ford to use since CK-4 standards came out.
Thanks for the info. I've been using my stock pile of t6, and had no idea they were phasing out the CJ-4. Looks like Mobil 1 will go into the sport for sure, but have to start researching what I'm going to be putting in the bike, and 6.0 from now on

So why is 5W30 recommended for the 3.5L EcoBoost instead of 5W20? I assume it's because of the turbos. I ask because I purchased my 2015 Sport used from a Ford dealer. Before driving it off the lot they changed the oil and put in 5W20. I pointed out to both sales and service manager that they should have used 5W30. Both shrugged and said it would be OK.

I also purchased an extended service contract. The closest affiliated dealer to me is a Mercedes dealership. They use Mobil 1 5W20. I asked about the 5W30 and they said that all Mercedes spec 5W20 even for turbocharged models.

I assume the engineers who specified 5W30 knew what they were doing. I assume dealerships are not looking for trouble if the authorized dealer provided the service and the engine or turbos fail early.

Just wondering.

OH this wasn't answered.

So the more power a motor makes the more load on the crankshaft and thus the bearings etc. SO for people that have never taken one apart something most don't know. The crankshaft of a car engine - sits on just oil. There are bearings that are basically special sleeves. they cup the crank journal (a highly polished area) on the crank shaft. and they have grooves and a hole or 2 - which is where oil pressure fills the gap and "lifts" the crankshaft off the bearing.

Now I put that in quotes because in some cases there is a lifting and in some cases there is not. and it's very complicated maths that make this work. But oil pressure, and viscosity, and density is all part of that complicated maths. As the oil heats up it's density and viscosity tend to fall down - which could be a bad thing on those crankshaft bearings.

So as an engine makes more torque - and as it runs hotter - those redline runs under load etc. are one of the places where you check your math. And decide with X surface area, and Y density . . . . . . . - I can support _____ lbs of force on the bearing. vs - piston face, cylinder temp, crank arm, pressure of combustion . . . . creates ________ lbs of force on the crankshaft. you want both ________ to be equal or the bearing to be > the shaft load. SSo the ecoboost mill makes more torque than the Ti_VCT mill - pretty easy to see - as such it runs hard in those higher RPM's. So it needs a higher viscosity equivalent to keep up the crank bearings and probably other things like piston rings and the cam journals. (there are a few other places in the engine design where you check your maths too)

More torque mills tend to use higher viscosity oils. Diesel motors - some of them anyway - use 15W40 or 50.

so yes the ecoboost mill needs 5W30 - easily - if you modded it and ran it in hotter climates I'd seriously consider putting 10w30 or 10w40 in it. ALso for the turbo.

OH this wasn't answered.

So the more power a motor makes the more load on the crankshaft and thus the bearings etc. SO for people that have never taken one apart something most don't know. The crankshaft of a car engine - sits on just oil. There are bearings that are basically special sleeves. they cup the crank journal (a highly polished area) on the crank shaft. and they have grooves and a hole or 2 - which is where oil pressure fills the gap and "lifts" the crankshaft off the bearing.

Now I put that in quotes because in some cases there is a lifting and in some cases there is not. and it's very complicated maths that make this work. But oil pressure, and viscosity, and density is all part of that complicated maths. As the oil heats up it's density and viscosity tend to fall down - which could be a bad thing on those crankshaft bearings.

So as an engine makes more torque - and as it runs hotter - those redline runs under load etc. are one of the places where you check your math. And decide with X surface area, and Y density . . . . . . . - I can support _____ lbs of force on the bearing. vs - piston face, cylinder temp, crank arm, pressure of combustion . . . . creates ________ lbs of force on the crankshaft. you want both ________ to be equal or the bearing to be > the shaft load. SSo the ecoboost mill makes more torque than the Ti_VCT mill - pretty easy to see - as such it runs hard in those higher RPM's. So it needs a higher viscosity equivalent to keep up the crank bearings and probably other things like piston rings and the cam journals. (there are a few other places in the engine design where you check your maths too)

More torque mills tend to use higher viscosity oils. Diesel motors - some of them anyway - use 15W40 or 50.

so yes the ecoboost mill needs 5W30 - easily - if you modded it and ran it in hotter climates I'd seriously consider putting 10w30 or 10w40 in it. ALso for the turbo.

I'm almost positive the turbochargers being one of the main heat producers in the Ecoboost engines are the additional and more likely reason Ford chooses 5W-30.

Turbo does add a bit but remember it also causes the mill to make a good bit more torque than the TiVCT model and that tips the maths some. in the high heat of summer I'd seriously consider moving on up to another grade for when your days start off at 85.

Ecoboost mills have an oil cooler too don't they?

Back