2014 xlt non ecoboost 3.5 oil types | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 xlt non ecoboost 3.5 oil types

holliwood98

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
What types of oil do you guys use in your explorers? I've always used Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5w-20, but it's 8 years old now with 150,000 miles on it, so I'm wondering if I can just switch to a conventional oil instead so it isn't so expensive. I change the oil every 5000 regardless of what type it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, you can switch but I would recommend dropping to 4,000 mile oil change intervals. You might want to consider a more economical full synthetic oil. I use the Amazon Basics brand that I can get off of Amazon for $25 per six quarts shipped to my door with a Prime membership. This goes into my 2010 Mountaineer and my wife's 2015 Edge that has the same 3.5L engine as your Explorer. Wlamart also sells a good brand of affordable full synthetic oil and I believe the name is Supertech.

IMO, you can switch but I would recommend dropping to 4,000 mile oil change intervals. You might want to consider a more economical full synthetic oil. I use the Kirkland brand that I can get off of Amazon for $25 per six quarts shipped to my door with a Prime membership. This goes into my 2010 Mountaineer and my wife's 2015 Edge that has the same 3.5L engine as your Explorer.
Hmmm....I've never heard of that brand. I may have to check that out, since I too am an avid Prime junkie :D

It is a good brand as is the Walmart brand.
Hmmm....I've never heard of that brand. I may have to check that out, since I too am an avid Prime junkie :D
I told you the wrong brand name. It is Amazon Basics. It and the Walmart SuperTech brand is made by the same manufacturer which also supplies many other brand names too.

I think that you should be fine with any reputable conventional oil, especially with your oil change interval.

Peter

Ya, Amazon oil should be a good brand,lol.

If you are being sarcastic then you are ill informed. If not then ignore this post.
I was being sarcastic. I might be ill informed but I'm still not using Amazon oil.

I was being sarcastic. I might be ill informed but I'm still not using Amazon oil.
If it meets Ford's specs, then there should be no issue using it, if one wanted to. Chances are it is a brand name oil.

Peter

If it meets Ford's specs, then there should be no issue using it, if one wanted to. Chances are it is a brand name oil.

Peter
The company that makes Amazon's synthetic oil also makes it for many other brands. Many people probably use the same basic oil and just don't know it.

Back