Sport seatback leaning back, back, back... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport seatback leaning back, back, back...

ranger7ltr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Great State of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
My 99 Explorer Sport drivers seat seems to have its lean going on...I can pull the seatback forward and tighten the latch bolts but as soon as any weight is put on it the seat back moves backward...

I can see the lower seat frame moving as i pull the seat back forward so I am thinking the lower seat may have something breaking inside...

I am thinking of replacing the seat but is there a way to fix it?

Thanks all...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup.

there is a bolt on the bottom backside of the seat that is notorious for breaking. the bolt is behind the actual seat material, there are plastic "slip" type things holding the material on at the bottom. all you have to do is slip them out and pull it for slack(the broken bolt piece will probably fall out at this point) get the rest of the bolt out and put a new one in. less expensive then a used seat.

i'll try and get you some pics up of where the bolt is located. it took me a few to actually find it when mine broke.

pics on the way. i was bored, they will be uploaded within 15 mins.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

(top bolt broke on mine)
Picture006.jpg

The seat pan could be broken too. It has happened to the GF's car.

Phil

There was a recall for this I believe.

bolt, or possibly the seat frame itself. this has happened to my truck. i had to pull the seat out, strip everything down to the seat frame and weld it. that is worst case how ever.

Thanks for the pics...

I will be pulling the seat fabric back either later today or tomorrow to see if the bolt is broken... Just putting my finger in the top of the seat back the bolt feels loose...

And I still have movement on the bottom when I pull the seatback more upright so I may have a broken seat pan too...

Looks like I have some work ahead of me...

Thanks guys...

bolt, or possibly the seat frame itself. this has happened to my truck. i had to pull the seat out, strip everything down to the seat frame and weld it. that is worst case how ever.

I suspect that was caused by a weight issue in your case :D

Sport Seatback Leaning Back....

There IS a recall on this...FORD will fix it regardless of time or mileage, due to HUGE safety issue!!! I had mine done in 2008. My truck is a '99 Sport.
Scottsdale, Az.

Demand it!!!!!

Bikeboy:frustrate

Back