• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac Body Bushing issue

Matt Stuart

Reaction score
City, State
Slidell, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hi Folks, I really wish I could figure out a way to get a number/list of all owners that had to have their body bushings replaced. Ford needs to be liable for this Quality Issue. You can see below where I got with them,
3 emails rejecting any help/liability with this issue. Stating at the bottom recording a service issue.:mad::mad::mad:

Hello Mathew,

Thank you for your reply.

I wish we could have given you a more favorable response, but as much as we would want to assist our loyal customers with the cost of the repairs outside the usual warranty, only recalls or Customer Satisfaction Programs can permit us to do so. Please be advised that when Ford Motor Company recognizes an ongoing issue, a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is put into place.

As such, we feel it was appropriately addressed in our response. Based on the information you have provided and the data that we have reviewed, our decision remains the same.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

Maria
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: 9/10/2014 12:14 PM
To: Tier 1 Email - CRCFMC
Subject: RE: Ford Motor Company CAS-5184029-G0H0W5 CRM:07233000004341
Hello Maria
Thank You for your additional response with the hope I may have my confidence restored someday with the Ford Motor Company’s products and the Quality of. I have attached a couple pictures of the vehicle and the substandard bushing (8 total) or what was left of it/them. It is apparent that in this case I have taken better care of the truck than what its components/body bushing can handle longevity wise. Doesn’t your company’s logo say Ford “Go Further”…?? I can go further but the truck rides and sounds like a piece of “junk”. I am also concerned with the possibility of the body shifting on the truck as I go around some of the curves at fairly high speeds on the interstate on/off ramps I have to travel and that the bolts may break due to metal to metal stress induced fatigue and/or the body shifting causing a rollover, hurting/maiming and possibly killing me or my passengers. I firmly believe that Ford knows about this problem (ask your dealers how many they have replaced). So I am not satisfied with Ford’s response. My next path will be to post to all my social media sites including Fords these email/responses to insure all my friends/family and any other Ford Sport Trac owners are aware of these/my concerns and of your position on this issue. Again Thanks for your reply.

Matthew S. Stuart
Quality Control/Engineering Mgr.

Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 6:56 PM
To: Stuart, Matthew
Subject: Ford Motor Company CAS-5184029-G0H0W5 CRM:07233000004341

Hello Mathew,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize that my original response did not resolve your concerns.

Feedback such as yours allows us to examine our practices and policies to ensure that we meet or exceed the expectations of our customers in the future.

On behalf of Ford Motor Company as a whole, we regret the circumstances which caused you to write. We hope that we might have the opportunity in the future to restore your confidence in our products and service.

Sincerely,

Maria
Ford Motor Company

Received: 9/9/2014 12:39 PM
Subject: RE: Ford Motor Company CAS-5184029-G0H0W5 CRM:07233000004330
Thank You for your/the standard response, I will try an alternate route for help in resolving this Systemic Problem. This is just one of many sites you can find this problem on.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238863

Matthew S. Stuart
Quality Control/Engineering Mgr.

Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 11:27 AM
To: Stuart, Matthew
Subject: Ford Motor Company CAS-5184029-G0H0W5 CRM:07233000004330

Hello Mathew,

My name is Maria, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I have reviewed your email regarding the concern on your 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

I have checked and verified your records; at this time there are no recalls or Customer Satisfaction Program indicating that this is a known issue. Unfortunately, there is no coverage at this time. I suggest that you keep your repair receipts in case Ford initiates a recall or program in the future that will provide coverage.

For future use, please visit owner.ford.com to see if your vehicle is involved in any recall. I also recommend contacting your Ford dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. Your local Ford dealership has factory-trained technicians, the most current engineering service information, and the specialized equipment required to resolve your vehicle concerns.

To schedule a service appointment, please contact Supreme Ford of Slidell at (985) 643-8900 or visit owner.ford.com and click on the “Locate a Dealer” feature to find contact information for dealers in your area.

Sincerely,

Maria
Ford Motor Company
Received: 9/8/2014 2:36 PM
Subject: Technical Inquiry

WHAT IS YOUR VEHICLE SALES OR SERVICE ISSUE?:I have found a systemic design flaw/Quality Issue with the 2001-2005 Ford Sport Track Body Bushings. I know Ford must know about this because it is all over the Sport Trac Forums. What is left of all 8 bushing on my vehicle turns to dust with touch. I work with a guy that has a truck 4 years newer and has same problem. He had them replaced and it cost him over 1200 dollars. This should have been a recall item. I have worked for two of the largest Aerospace Companies in the world for almost 35 years now in the Product Assurance Depatment as a Quality Engineering Manager. Have had to send several disclosures to the customers and supply field service technicians around the world to repair. This problem should have been disclosed and a service bulletin generated. My question to you is what reasonable course of action will Ford provide me to fix this problem?
WHAT ACTION HAS YOUR DEALER TAKEN TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE?:Have not spoken to a dealer, want to know your position on this matter.
WHAT ASSISTANCE ARE YOU SEEKING FROM FORD MOTOR COMPANY?:Replacement of these bushings.
Are you the owner of the vehicle :Yes
VIN : 1FMZU67E51UA74164
MILEAGE : 135,000
WHERE IS YOUR VEHICLE NOW : InPossession
HAVE YOU CONTACTED THE DEALER :No
DEALER NAME : None

Contact Information
First Name : Matthew
Last Name :Stuart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure wish something would come of it, I regret not replacing my (at the time) 5 year old body bushings when I did my body lift..

Your truck is 14 years old. What do you expect a reasonable service life for body mounts is?

Your truck is 14 years old. What do you expect a reasonable service life for body mounts is?
For the life of the vehicle, IMO. I believe Ford realized their mistake when they changed all the 2007-10 ST body mounts back
to rubber, discontinuing the MCU foam. This issue has also been addressed to the NHTSA as a safety hazard on the MyST site.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/183

Another long time ST enthusiast, Eddie has gone down this path. It didn't get very far. Best of luck to you but the $120 and a couple hours labor satisfied me. I wish the steering rack was a little stronger. I wish the timing chain tensioners weren't total crap. In the grand scheme of a vehicle, I think the ST is a great truck and while the bushings are a definite weakness, they're not a huge issue.

While I agree, the mounts should last 30 years or more, I'd rather Ford address the timing chain issues.

I'll sign on to this but I've seen this pop up a couple times and it doesn't get much further than you've already achieved. I've got pictures to show the problem but I've already resolved it myself with a few bucks and a couple hours.

IMG_20140322_123919_788_zpsddzn00oi.jpg

IMG_20140322_123949_140_zpsajincdhi.jpg

IMG_20140322_124059_162_zpseqxkzzum.jpg

IMG_20140322_124114_857_zpspnhhfkpr.jpg

Back