• Register Today It's free!

Spotlight installation

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Hello, I've just purchased a spotlight from the Police Interceptor group on Facebook. My vehicle has a hole already plugged up. I'm going to reuse the hole that was used. My question being is how is the spotlight hooked up to power? Is there a special wiring area for it behind the A pillar? Assuming it wasn't cut off... Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it had one before then the wires might still be there. If not just run two wires to the battery or another power source. Most spotlights have the on/off switch built into the handle so you hook up the two power and ground wires and you're good to go.

If it had one before then the wires might still be there. If not just run two wires to the battery or another power source. Most spotlights have the on/off switch built into the handle so you hook up the two power and ground wires and you're good to go.
Seems to have been cut off, from what I know it's just a power wire so I can just use butt connectors... Is there a template I could use to cut the exterior trim piece that was replaced when the spotlight was removed?

It should not be run directly to the battery. That will bypass the Battery Management System. I believe it is also noted in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

It should not be run directly to the battery. That will bypass the Battery Management System. I believe it is also noted in the Owner's Manual.

Peter
Yes, I agree. I believe it'd cause a parasitic draw possibly. There's only a power wire which can be butted to the wiring behind the A pillar..

Peter
I would agree that there are better places to wire to, but if the spotlight switch is on the spotlight the chances of parasite draw are minimal. I think a lot of people like to wire them to constant instead of switched power so they can turn it on anytime.

Back