spring over ? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spring over ?

jeff, any vibration problems with it like that?

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welli havnt gotten it over 40 mph. I broke the cut off wheel for my angle grinder so i cant cut off the old shock mounts and install the shocks so they are just hangin out. I am going to redo the whole thing this week so i have not been driving it. I dont want to mess anything up.

Jeffseal, it looks as if you driveshaft could use a coupla inches. Couldn't we all!:D

Originally posted by jeffseal
Twotoned- did you have any prolem fiting in the ubolts on the inside inbetween the shock mount? there is not enought clearance on mine.

also your axle looks tilted up (the way i think it should be. do you shim it?

I am going to try to redo it this week cuase i have to take out the add a leaf anyway.

Nope, didn't have any problems fitting the ubolts, not that I can remember anyways... Maybe someone else has had that problem and can help you out better than me...

My axle is kind of tilted up...I think that's the way it should be, at least I hope so. However, while off-roading last week I got stuck in some mud and had to rock myself out, while my friends were looking underneath and I was switching from drive to reverse they said my axle would shift down when I laid on the gas in reverse, and shift back up when in drive. I felt the bang it made when it happened, and I'm not sure it's supposed to do that. I think it might have been because I was gunning it back and forth, but not sure. Basically, my axle moves a little more than I think it should... Also, in the picture I posted below, you can see it's tilting down again, but I think that's because my driveshaft was skipping merrily along down the road...

I had a lot of problems with my driveshaft after lifting it. On the way to Moab last year the stupid thing just dropped out after I saw a deer in the road and had to make a sudden stop. We put another stock one on and it was ok for awhile, then it dropped out again. I ended up getting it extended for about 116 bucks, and lemme tell you, best money I ever spent. If you think it's a little short, take it into a drive shaft place and get it extended, because trust me, it's a scary thing when you're going 75, hit the brakes and the whole truck grinds and shakes as you pull off the road because you're drive shaft is skidding along putting divits in the highway... Here's an after picture of what happened, you can see the teeth just grinded along the pavement:

ds1.jpg

ds2.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of what my driveshaft looked like before I got it extended, but here's what it looks like after it was extended:

Front:

ds3.jpg

Back:

ds4.jpg

another use for duct tape.. a wheel chock... :eek:

TwoToneX are your perches welded on? I found I couldn't tighten them enough to keep the axle from rotating up or down. I ended up having them welded on and I would recommend that for anyone doing a SOA.

Originally posted by zensius
TwoToneX are your perches welded on? I found I couldn't tighten them enough to keep the axle from rotating up or down. I ended up having them welded on and I would recommend that for anyone doing a SOA.

No, they aren't welded on, but I've just been waiting for my friend to get a welder (he's getting one here in the next month)

And duct tape really can do anything :D I always seem to find the most interesting wheel clocks. Gerald posted one in the last Moab pictures thread if you wanna go find it :)

does mine look like it is out to far??

heres a quick question. im going to do the SOA but im not buying the super lift kit. im going to buy yht spring perchs for like $30. then im going to buy the coils for the front that raise the front up 6" and put a block in that back so that back is and 1/2" higher than the front. what all do i need. i know that extended radius arms and the driveshaft maybe and the brake lines. what else

jason

Back