Squeal coming from the front wheel. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeal coming from the front wheel.

James71

Reaction score
City, State
Roscoe Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with a 3.5L V6. I changed the front brakes and rotors a few weeks ago and used OEM brand for both. Now there is a squeal that comes and goes but is mostly constant. It starts when I take off and will stop squealing at various speeds. Occasionally it won't stop squealing until I press on the brake pedal, not hard, but lightly and the squeal stops for a few seconds and starts again. It happens most at low speeds 10-30 mph.

I have removed the wheel and checked everything I can think of. The dirt shield is 1/4 inch away from the rotor, the wheel doesn't move when I try to see if the wheel bearing is bad or moving, nothing is contacting the rotor at all that I can see.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheel bearing? :dunno:

Peter

Considering the recent pads and rotors change, I would take that much back apart, examine for rust under the pad slider rail shims, examine the caliper pins for rust and adequate lube, and examine the back of the pads and rotor piston interface.

If the pads don't have a built-in shim/pad on the back, (or sometimes even if they do) you may need some anti-squeal goop on them, brake grease or there are some sticky aerosol adhesives (which are toxic, spray in an open area).

Also there are the general things like make sure the caliper bracket bolts haven't loosened and if the pad(s) have a wear bar (designed to make noise when pads wear too low) that it hasn't been bent in to where it's already contacting the rotor. Many vehicles spec that you should use threadlock fluid on those bolts.

Wheel bearing? :dunno:

Peter
I thought about that, but there is no play in the wheel when off the ground. There is no clunking or popping noises. And the squeal is not constant. So before replacing the bearing I wanted to see if there was any other possibilities.

Considering the recent pads and rotors change, I would take that much back apart, examine for rust under the pad slider rail shims, examine the caliper pins for rust and adequate lube, and examine the back of the pads and rotor piston interface.

If the pads don't have a built-in shim/pad on the back, (or sometimes even if they do) you may need some anti-squeal goop on them, brake grease or there are some sticky aerosol adhesives (which are toxic, spray in an open area).

Also there are the general things like make sure the caliper bracket bolts haven't loosened and if the pad(s) have a wear bar (designed to make noise when pads wear too low) that it hasn't been bent in to where it's already contacting the rotor. Many vehicles spec that you should use threadlock fluid on those bolts.
Thanks, I already had it back apart twice and the bolts were all tight. When I changed the brakes I cleaned rails and other areas with a wire brush to get all the rust off. I also used the OEM brake pads which have the shims. I cleaned and applied grease to the caliper bolts and use brake grease on the bolts and ear tabs of the pads. I always apply it to the back of the pad. I torqued all bolts to the Ford manual specs. There is no glazing on the rotor or the pads. The caliper pistons retracted easily so I don’t think it is the issue. I am just stumped.

Well I replaced the wheel bearing and it is still making the same squealing noise. I am at a loss. Verified nothing is rubbing on the rotor. It starts out squeal no squeal the squeal and once I hit 10 mph it squeals constantly until I hit 40 mph or tap the brake pedal but starts again as I let off the peddle. Sometimes it stops if I hit a bump.

Back