• Register Today It's free!

Squealing A/C compressor?

New Ford Man

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Worth, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited 4x4
:exp:I have had my 2005 Ford Explorer for @ 3 mos. It is the limited edition and it is fully loaded. It has the "auto air" feature where as, you set the temp you like and the rest is "fuzzy logic". When I first drive my suv for the day, the A/C compressor,clutch, squells like a pig that knows its about to become dinner. I finally took it in to have it fixed and the compressor was changed out. All is not well though.. I STILL get that same squell, everytime the clutch engages to cycle the A/C. Also, when it is squelling, the cold air that was coming out, temporarily becomes just cool and humid air. The guy at the repair shop said this is "normal" for the Explorer-Expedition line? Should I buy this? Anyone else notice this? It squells at it's worst when its above 92 degrees here and I'm driving down the highway.

Also, my vehicle is supposed to have "Speed Dependent Wipers" It states that the wipers will self adjust thier speed according to how fast and how hard it is raining". I put my wipers on delay, slow and fast but the speed does not ever change on its own. Not a world crisis here but it sounds like a cool feature, when it works. Any feedback on this feature?

Lastly, because I'm a "New Ford Man", if I leave my sunroof open a crack to let out the days heat and I slide my sunblock shade @ 50% close AND it just so happens to rain while I'm not in my car, will the rain trickle down and drain somehow, (of course not inside the car) through some kind of "drainage" system Inside the roof? Just curious. My @#*&! Chevy truck had this feature in my S 100.

:exp: ....The guy at the repair shop said this is "normal" for the Explorer-Expedition line? Should I buy this? Anyone else notice this? It squells at it's worst when its above 92 degrees here and I'm driving down the highway.

I can't see how something squealing is "normal." Right now I live along a highway and if squealing is "normal" it'd drive everyone crazy.

Maybe I'm naïeve but I'd call BS on that one. Sounds like he's just half-assing it.

What's the condition of the belt and tensioner?

I don't know anything about the wipers or sunroof, sorry.

Back