" Stage 2 " Intake 04-05 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

" Stage 2 " Intake 04-05

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Daniel... Daniel..Daniel... Daniel... please PLEASE go back and READ anything in this thread I have posted.

The open element filter with "MAF-adapter" is the WORST thing you can go for your 4.0 or 4.6. PERIOD.

Keep the stock box, put in a fresh filter, do the replacement ducting from the MAF to the Throttle Body (TB)...

For the guy/gal who had issues with the "cheap plastic parts" or whatever he/she said... Wake up... the Intake on your 4.0 or 4.6 is the same basic poly-ethylene crap you are crying about... the plastic is actually a BETTER heat conductor (aka releases heat faster) than the convoluted rubber crap from OE. Thinking and research are your friend...

Bottom line kids: Getting rid of the convoluted, rubber ducting is where the MPG & HP gains can be found. a straight, smooth, consistent flow of air is what you want. The ECM will adjust for the changes. If you have exhaust and other mods, a tune will show even MORE gains in both MPG & HP.

Don't confuse yourselves... Its an internal combustion, gasoline engine. Doesn't matter if its got a 2 barrel carb or the latest/greatest EFI: AIR/FUEL in...SPARK!.. Exhaust out....

Improve all 3 efficiently, make HP & gain MPG....

Rob

Smh. I wasn't "crying" about it being plastic. I said I didn't care for the fact it was plastic. Tips are obviously greatly appreciate around this forum in what you can do to help modify your vehicle but don't sound like a jackass. Whether this is the correct way or not to you, they will still choose to do as they want.

Success!

Just finished this mod - Looks and sounds great. Noticed a definite increase in highway passing ability. Really drones at 3-4K RPM with positive pedal vibration. Even got a great whistle/suction sound at anything over 1,500 RPM. Cool deal.

I'll post a picture tomorrow when it's brighter outside.

-Coming from Dallas to Lubbock last week some ass spit so many rocks at me on the highway he managed to break both my fog light enclosures PLUS the bulbs. Found that to be amazing but true. I've been wanting to do HID fog lights for some time now so I guess this was the kick in the butt I needed to get them done, although I've never done light replacements before. Anybody have suggestion on some 5000K+ HID kits for 05 XLT Explorer fog lights? Also replacements for the fog lights? Am I going to have to pull those off a salvage? I do not want to pay dealership price for broken plastic. :mad:

I have xentec yellow HID's for my fog lights. Worked great until a buddy was helping me pain the plastics and sprayed over the lights so they dont show through. I have to sand them down to clear. But the kits from xentec arent bad. Only thing is they dont come with mounting brackets so i just used safety wire to hold them onto the frame and sides of the engine compartment. As for the broken plastic, if its the plastics surrounding the lights you could do the cool mod where they cut mesh screens and make their own style kind of like the billet grill ones.

This is a great mod. Its inexpensive and not very complicated to do. Will add this one to the list...

I wish I found this post earlyer hahaha! Built my own custom intake useing spectra parts what a bummer! Do Not Use Aftermarket MAF Houseings! Burnt up my tranny and 3 g's down the drain for rebuild and back to stock intake!

I wish I found this post earlyer hahaha! Built my own custom intake useing spectra parts what a bummer! Do Not Use Aftermarket MAF Houseings! Burnt up my tranny and 3 g's down the drain for rebuild and back to stock intake!

How did it burn out your tranny? That's what i used on mine a spectra maf housing and a volant air intake. I've had it on my truck for about a year and havn't had any issues with mine. That doesn't really make sense to me can you clarify?

Yes! the intake I built had a 4" tubing with a 2" reducer. The maf ended up telling the pcm the flow rate of the air was staying at a close to idel flow which ended up sending a single to the tranny to lessen the pressure for fluid flow which than ending up "melting" the guts of the tranny! that was from ford and aamco who rebuilt the tranny! In my oppion I think my pcm is f'ed up anyways because I also (during the time of getting the houseing and rebuild of tranny) bought 2 replacement maf senors.

Yes! the intake I built had a 4" tubing with a 2" reducer. The maf ended up telling the pcm the flow rate of the air was staying at a close to idel flow which ended up sending a single to the tranny to lessen the pressure for fluid flow which than ending up "melting" the guts of the tranny! that was from ford and aamco who rebuilt the tranny! In my oppion I think my pcm is f'ed up anyways because I also (during the time of getting the houseing and rebuild of tranny) bought 2 replacement maf senors.

Did you disconnect the battery after you drt the colad air up to reset the settings? Sounds more like a PCM problem. Ive had the spectre adapter on since feburary and ive put about 10k miles on it since and have had no problems!

yes I've resetted the pcm several times actually!

Back