Stalling and shifting issues - Apten Chip/cold weather?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling and shifting issues - Apten Chip/cold weather??

Jester1994

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I read a few posts from last year about apten chips, the seating and stalling issues. My basic problems have grown for the last two years. Only randomly a hand full of times 2 years ago did my Explorer shut off while driving back from Idaho to Massachusetts...more recently in the last few weeks, it will shut off (check engine light pops on and 2 seconds later the rpms drop and the engine shuts off completely...no sputtering), prompting me to put it in neutral, turn the key back and restart it while rolling along. Also, the transmission the last few weeks seems to pop out for a few seconds during any type of driving. I believe both problems are due to the computer since I drive part of the time with the Over-drive off, and when the tranny pops out randomly, the light resets and turns off. The third issue is I have a surge of gas, or the accelerator sometimes...noticeable if I am at a stop light, the truck will all of a sudden try to lurch forward as if I hit the gas (but I don't).

I pushed the chip back in last night and I will test it out later or tomorrow. But if anyone has any other ideas or issues....Apten chip related or not...I could use some info since it is getting quite frequent in the cold weather here in Boston the last two weeks.

Other than this new possible computer or chip issues, I have had ths 97 5.0 truck since 2001...it now has 125k on it (from 62k)...and always treats me well.

Any ideas for these 3 issues?
-Stalling randomly (complete shut-off, no sputtering)
-Tranny pops out of gear and "resets"
-surges at stop light (as if I hit the gas)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

I reseeded the chip...but without any grease, etc. The problems have gone down in numbers, but that could also be due to the weather change to be warmer than last week.

Any ideas or random shifting? Popping out for a few seconds due to a possible computer signal?

Do on test on the computer to see if any errors come up. It could be the tranny that is the culprit. Also when did you install the chip?

I installed it severael years ago. How should I test the computer?

It just seems odd to me that all of these specific items that are tied into computer timing have been acting up. (Even though this weekend it was alright compared to last week).

Does anyone know hjow to contact Brian? Or Apten? Anyone to ask about this issue! Its pretty bad now unless I totally remove my chip.

Apten is history.
Doug at www.bamachips.com MIGHT be of some help as far as the chips is concerned. On a side note Dougs programs are significantly better than any thing Apten ever had. I have had both.

I had the cut off thing happen to me once in the past five months ( +/- )
I never did track it down but after some research here I found the likely culprate a loose connection at the power distribution center. I never did any thing about it since the problem has yet to recour [knock]wood[/knock]

Back