• Register Today It's free!

Stalling Problems

lasong

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4X4
Can anyone suggest how to help me with a stalling problem for my '97 Eddie Bauer 4.0L. I took it to the Ford dealer and they said they could not find anything wrong.

I have a problem with intermitant stalling when I am stopped at traffic lights or idleing. Usually the gear is in drive with my foot on the brake but it also happens when in neutral.

The problem happens mostly when cold but also when warmed up, it seems to idle normally then drops out and stalls. I can restart right away with no problem but it is frustrating because it happens everyday.

What would be the best way to solve this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IACV indeed. Search for it. I had the same problem and cleaned it up just like was instructed and it is still working 1 yr later.
my .02

Welcome to the board. IAVC does sound like the problem. There should be a thread on it.

Excellent news. I will have it checked out. How much does it cost to replace?

Excellent news. I will have it checked out. How much does it cost to replace?
The one in the link is for sale.
It will take you longer to wash your hands afterwards, than to replace it yourself--serious

JTSMITH - How much do you want for your IAC? Will you take paypal?

What is the IAC valve and where is it located? I looked under the hood but could not find see it, do I need to remove something.

JTSMITH - How much do you want for your IAC? Will you take paypal?

Click the link again. I was just referring you. It is not mine.

Hey therem fellow 4X4er I had a similar problem and it was solved by changing the throttle body

You guys have been awesome in helping me fix my explorer stalling issue. Your input has been very valuable in saving me time and money.

I just bought the IAC valve today for $99.95 from O'Reilly auto parts, they were the cheapest in town, the Ford Dealer wanted $144.00 and had to order it.

I haven't worked on car in years but I will give this a shot, I'll let you know how this turns out.

Stop clean yours first! no need to spend $ on something you dont need to repace.

Well, I did it and it took about 20 min. And it just runs perfect now.

First - I removed the plastic cover over the engine and located the IAC on the top center of engine. Removed the negative battery post.

Second - I unplugged the electrical connector and removed the 2 bolts with 7/16" socket, I then removed the unit and cleaned the valves in and out.

Third - Replaced unit and a new gasket, bolted it back, put on the electrical connection, put back the plastic engine cover and that was it.

I Have not stalled out since. CHEERS!!!

Back