• Register Today It's free!

starter?

b00xtreme

Reaction score
City, State
Essex, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
Im not sure the problem here. I know my way around cars and such, but can't figure this out. I have a 4.0 explorer and it won't start. There is now power to anything such as lights, but the battery is good, and when i turn the key all the way forward nothing happens. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you man no power to anything? If so and you know the battery is good then it could be the battery cables. They tend to corrode from the inside of the wrap that is on them. Can't see the corrosion.

Try a different battery or to jump start it. Also clean your battery terminals and connections. (They tend to get corroded and need to be cleaned periodically)

i went outside again, and im getting power now, but when i try to start i just get a click and after that i have no power to anything. so i starting to think starter and solenoid, does that sound right?

Had the same symptoms. Replaced cables and hasn't happened since.

Low battery! I assume.

...How do you know the battery is good??..:scratch:..Have you had it bench tested???...
This will resolve some of your problems...After it has been checked proper, I would replace both cables after inspecting them and their connections..;)

yes, i've had the battery tested, although it is old and looks crappy, its still good. im getting new cables as we speak, so im hoping that will do the trick

...I was going tomention that having a battery tested from a crash cart like the ones at Autozone will give you a good reading but most of the time they are wrong...You can then pull the battery and have them test it on the bench and the problem would show up..;)

..My money is on the cables or a loose connection..:thumbsup:

alright, thanks for all the help, my dad just picked up a new batter and cables so im hoping that that solves it

...Let us know what the results are...:D

So, did you ever try to hot shot the truck first? That's the best way to narrow down to battery, cables, etc...

not really sure what hot shot means, but i did get it started. i noticed a ticking sound coming from the back, inside the compartment where the rear window washer and wiper stuff is, so i unplugged it, and now it starts. although the power locks do not work now. i appreciate all of your help

..He meant did you try to jump start it..;)

...What did you unplug??? ..Is your vehicle 4x4??..Do you have brake lights???

yeah, i did try to jump start it, that was a no go, i do have brake lights, im not exactly sure what i unplugged everything works. Yes its a 4x4

...You may have disconnected the 4x4 computer...:dunno:

..I take it that the battery and cables resulted in fixing the problem, and not the unplugging of something in the rear access area???

well actually i haven't replaced them yet, and tonight i plugged whatever it was back in and everything is still working, so im still lost as to what the problem was/is.

Still sounds like what was going on with mine. I went over a year with it doing that. It would work fine for a month or so and then randomly not want to start. Haven't had the problem with since replacing the cables (which were a pain to snake through everthing).

Diff gen, but my starter (I know now) started ticking months ago... then the shifting got kinda odd, meaning it would drop rpms after shifting... then I heard the crackling. But it runs so smoothly, it's easy to ignore. I won't have mine changed until tonight, but I had all of the same symptoms as above...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Autozone has stopped lending out...

...I was going tomention that having a battery tested from a crash cart like the ones at Autozone will give you a good reading but most of the time they are wrong...You can then pull the battery and have them test it on the bench and the problem would show up..;)

..My money is on the cables or a loose connection..:thumbsup:

I'll check the sign again tomoro, but it looks like the Govmn't of CA has put an end to free tools - imagine.

Back