starting a double din install on my trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starting a double din install on my trac

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hey fellas merry xmas all! hope everyone had a great holiday, im looking forward to new years. with that said, my gf bought me a new head unit for my trac for xmas and im pretty juiced to get it installed. being that its a double din sized deck, its going to be a little harder to get it in there.

i went to best buy to get an install kit, they sold me the kit for a regular 01-05 explorer, i told them it was a sport trac and that i needed the kit for a 95-01, but they told me it would work. i got it home, and sure enough, its not even close to working. so i found a custom shop here in town and found the proper install kit for 25 bucks. freaking expensive, but itll have to do.

i know that i will have to trim the top and bottom inner lips of the radio bezel to get the double din unit to fit through, but im still unsure as to how i will get the head unit to seat securely.

ive tried searching "double din install" in the search bar and ive read through all the results, but im looking for some pictures or specifics on how to secire the unit once i get it seated in the dash.

opinions, info and pics from anyone who has doen this install would be greatly appreciated. thanks and have a happy new year!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear from ya man, it's been awhile. Not sure about here but check out the stereo section and also I know there's been a bunch of documented DD installs over on mysporttrac.com.

Hope this helps ya out.

I forget which of the Metra or Scosche kits has the rear piece that attaches to the radio "track" in the dash. However, the radio is secured through a combination of the side mounts, which clip to the bezel/trim piece (attach to the bezel/trim, then slide the HU between and screw the side mounts into the HU; the entire setup will snug tight), and the rear piece which slides onto the track.

Yeah I've just been so damn busy I haven't been able to do much with the trac or even waste time on the internet. I'm on vacation now so I've got tons of time to play.

I got the metra kit and tomorrow I'll take a few pics of things so it'll give a better idea of what I'm working with. I can't wait to get this thing installed, its got USB and 1/8" aux ports and it also has Bluetooth capabilities. I'll post some pics first thing tomorrow morning

On my old show truck I made a metal bracket that screwed into the back of the radio and then to a brace behind the dash to keep it steady.

Once attached to the bezel it will stay snug and secure when you slide it into the dash. U do not need a rear type slide mount to secure it. Really very little room u have to work with. Hope this helps.

When I put mine in I just trimmed the plastic on the dash so that the head unit just barely fit in with a little bit of force and I have never had a problem with it. Like Rick said there isnt a whole lot of room for it to move around.

I am planning on trimming mine and fiber glassing it to fit snug and paint the bezel. Install is in now just doesn't slide all the way in yet.

Back