• Register Today It's free!

starting and radio issue

neon_boy82

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport trac
Hi guys. I posted about this problem before but I didn't get enough answers to solve my problem. I have an '04 trac. Sometimes in cold weather when I turn the key to start the truck the starter will stop for about a second partway through cranking, all the doors will lock, then it cranks again like normal and it starts fine. Sometime the radio will reset when this happens, other times not. Sometimes the starter works fine but the radio will reset anyway. I thought my battery might be causing the problems so I replaced it but it still happens. The colder it is and the longer it sits between starts seems to make it happen more often.

The radio is aftermarket but the wiring is all good. The battery has 850 CCA. I'm wondering if it might be an issue with the ignition cylinder shorting out or getting worn or something. I have 2 keys and this happens when using either one.

Any ideas on this would help me a lot. Thanks.

sounds like power issue - low battery/bad connections (ground or power)
there is a large current draw when cranking the motor, if the current isn't the the voltage goes down, when the voltage goes down everything resets.

Other issues AC compressor could be on the way out (seizing/almost seized), and is making it hard for the starter to turn over the motor.

edit:
further reading your post: yes it could be the ignition switch or connector to the switch.
check connections (ground is probably suspect, since you've changed the battery)

Back