• Register Today It's free!

steering and driveline problems

61wes233

Reaction score
City, State
Radcliff, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford explorer
I recently purchased a used 95 explorer that needed a "little" work ! was told that the new/rebuilt rack went bad. I replaced it with another new/rebuilt rack, still no power steering. the lines were new, and pump was a new rebuilt replacement. replaced pump again, rebuilt one locked up, second one didn't seem to pump, so i upgraded to a rebuilt AC Delco, I still have no power steering ! the truck had a vibration, so i took front driveline out and checked rear driveline, it seemed solid enough. drove it 15 miles and it started to deposit several parts out the rear, when i pulled over, the back of the tranny was on fire lol put it out and limped it on shoulder with driveline clunking under body. that's where it sits, i plan on returning today to remove rear driveline and put front back in to get it home. short of shooting it, I'm open to any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WHen installing new steering parts like pumps, R&P, lines and such, proper air bleeding from the system is crucial to operation.

Shooting it might not be a bad idea. If it was on fire you’ll need a lot of hard parts in the tranny, most likely. It’s possible the original steering issue contaminated all the fluid with junk, and that’s keeping the new components from working/lasting.

A vibration in the steering is normal when air gets into the system. It will work itself out naturally. Maybe consider installing a filter on the PS pump return line? What did the fluid look like? Did you have power steering even briefly after replacing the pump?

In my experience air in the steering on a second gen is violent. The only way to purge it is to sit parked and turn the wheel lock to lock. This works best after warmed up, and the idle has dropped.

Back