• Register Today It's free!

steering groans

pfeffer1728

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
ok, soo whenever i turn my wheel when stopped or moving very slowly i hear it groaning. this is an unpleasant sound, and i wonder what (if any) damage its doing or if its already been done. what should i check, and how should i check it? rear end squeaks on bumps too, havent figured that one out either (silicone sprayed the crap out of every bushing i could see) any help would be great, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Groaning in the steering usually equals a dying power steering pump, might want to check your fluid.

fluid seems ok, i dont think its the pump b/c it still turns easy but just with the obnoxious sounds.

Check your intermediate shaft, has a u joint towards steering box.
1 bolt on each end hold it on,both need to come out all the way, then unit telescopes for removal. Make sure steering wheel is locked before you remove it, if wheel freespins it could break the clockspring.

It can only be installed one way, so you'll get it right.

Try putting in a little Lucas P/S stop leak. This stuff expands when the pump starts to turn, so only put in a little, or your pump will start to shoot fluid out of the hole on the cap. I once put in too much, and my cap flew off completely. I had to get a new cap. Too much will also make the steering feel stiff when it is very cold in the winter time. The stiffness will slowly go away as the engine warms up, but come back again after your vehicle sits for a little while. As for the rear end noise, did you check your fluid level in the differential, or for any play in the rear U joint?

also take into consideration ford pumps tend to be a bit noisy.

thanks for the response guys, ill check the intermediate shaft, but i really feel like its something more around the wheels (just a hunch)...as far as rear end, its suspension based (does it when i bounce up and down on bumper). is this just dry bushings?

Back