Steering on SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering on SAS

no looking for cheap ideas no to be scary but im curious on what i can use as in stock components for my steering. im doing sas on my 89 bronco 2 using early bonco d44 from 77 (not full width). i have the stock tie rod end already but what else can i use for all my steering?

this truck is being used to mud bog only, not road driven or crawled....

i dont want a fortune in it but if i can use parts from other trucks, plz do tell:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since this is not for the road, why not switch to full hydraulic? No more gearbox and drag link to worry about.

Single ended hydraulic cylinders (not the "balanced" or double ended ones) are not too expensive and are actually pretty common in tractor/farm supply stores. The only expensive part will be the orbitrol (steering valve) but you can probably find one used. After that, all you need is to tie in your steering shaft into the orbitrol, run the hydraulic lines, and link the cylinder to the tie rod link.

EDIT --
If you have a Saginaw P style pump, here's some info on bumping the pressure:
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

This would probably make more sense to keep these questions all in your SAS thread. You already asked about coil buckets in a new thread then you got all the same answers from the same people in the SAS thread.

CHeck out my registry in my signature, I have a couple pictures of mine. I used Chevy Tres and dom tubing.

CHeck out my registry in my signature, I have a couple pictures of mine. I used Chevy Tres and dom tubing.

x2.

x3 that's what I did:dunno:

Back