Steering rack programming question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering rack programming question

matt88ch

Reaction score
City, State
Norwich Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford explorer PIU
Hello everyone!
I have a 2013 3.7 PIU explorer and the steering rack went out, at first it was hard to turn once in a blue moon for a split second and over time it finally stopped working all together, fuses, wiring and power are all ok so I figured it's time to replace the rack. I got a used rack from another 3.7 PIU with low mileage and I know it needs to be programmed after it is installed. My question is, does anything like a serial number or any info need to be pulled off the old rack for a successful programming of new rack? I am a tech at a dealership(not ford) so I will do the rack replacement myself and alignment afterwords, then bring the car across the street to ford for programming. I don't want them to tell me that I had to pull some info from old rack before I removed it. Also is there anything else I should be aware of before I do the replacement?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Hello everyone!
I have a 2013 3.7 PIU explorer and the steering rack went out, at first it was hard to turn once in a blue moon for a split second and over time it finally stopped working all together, fuses, wiring and power are all ok so I figured it's time to replace the rack. I got a used rack from another 3.7 PIU with low mileage and I know it needs to be programmed after it is installed. My question is, does anything like a serial number or any info need to be pulled off the old rack for a successful programming of new rack? I am a tech at a dealership(not ford) so I will do the rack replacement myself and alignment afterwords, then bring the car across the street to ford for programming. I don't want them to tell me that I had to pull some info from old rack before I removed it. Also is there anything else I should be aware of before I do the replacement?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Get forscan and you can do the programming yourself, however in the PSCM (power steeting control module) there are not many parameters. There is a good chance it will not need programming anyway. But with forscan you be sure. Just backup your PSCM as-built data, then when installing the new one back that one up, then upload the old data into the new rack. The only reason you would save the new racks existing as-built is in case for some reason you need to revert it back as well which is unlikely.

Back