• Register Today It's free!

steering wheel/oil pressure

tipdrill

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4dr 2wd
My leather wrapped steering wheel has become loose, twisted and very rough. Can it be recovered? or does the whole steering wheel need to be replaced? Im not sure but it seems like it might be a common problem.

Also, its been at or below freezing every morning since i have had my explorer (almost 2 weeks) and the oil pressure gauge stays at the lowest point (with check gauge light on) until the vehicle warms (about 5 minutes). Could the sending unit be sticking b/c of the cold?

Thanks. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The oil pressure guage problem is very common. You are right about the sending unit being the problem. Jack up the front drivers side and take off the tire, you can reach the sending unit from there. It is under the a/c compressor, not the easiest thing to get to. I replaced mine and no more problem.

Thanks! I think i'll wait until it warms up outside and then change it.

the steering wheel needs to be swapped with a new one.

Good luck with the oil pressure sending unit. BTW, the pressure shown on the gauge has two steps only, all or nothing. There is no gauge range, either there is zero oil pressure, or there is some. The gauge may fluctuate based on volrage in the system, wiring, etc, but the actual oil pressure does not affect it. Regard,

Back