Steering wheel upgrade for second gen Explorers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel upgrade for second gen Explorers?

Lightning wheels are different. I believe there’s a notch in the splines that’s different than the X.
I posted that in post number 7 in different words.
The lightning steering wheels are rare, my guess is they are getting Explorer and Ranger steering wheels and grinding a new notch or slot in the wheel at the correct place so it can be used on a Lightning. Or in other words grinding the notch off so it would fit both.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 07 wheel I think there was something about the airbag connector that is different? I cannot remember
No biggie for me I don't run airbags normally

the 07 wheel I think there was something about the airbag connector that is different? I cannot remember
No biggie for me I don't run airbags normally
With the Lightning steering wheels I posted a picture of; you just use your old electronics and air bag.
They say you just swap everything over from your old steering wheel.
Some places do give an option of having an airbag done to match the steering wheel, some have listings where they supply, or you supply the air bag.

I think I remember the Lightning had a beautiful interior, the seats especially. But how about another rare wheel, the one from a Lincoln Blackwood? The steering wheel didn't thrill me, but overall the interior was really nice.

02 Blackwood SW.jpg 02 Blackwood seat.jpg

All I wonder is if the airbag in any these “non-Explorer” will function as should if they need to.

I’ve heard/read/imagined things like the airbag should be matched to the sensor. Different either airbag or sensor would make the airbag not work as it should in a wreck. Old sensor, new airbag, no work. New sensor, old airbag, no work. Is that true? 🤷🏻‍♂️

All I wonder is if the airbag in any these “non-Explorer” will function as should if they need to.

I’ve heard/read/imagined things like the airbag should be matched to the sensor. Different either airbag or sensor would make the airbag not work as it should in a wreck. Old sensor, new airbag, no work. New sensor, old airbag, no work. Is that true? 🤷🏻‍♂️
i wonder a somiliar thing. howveer i wonder (havent taken mine off yet) is it just like give it 12v or whatever it takes and boom, like universally could you connect in theory a toyota one for example and when its given pwoer it go boom? ot is there more i would assume there is. howveer i vaguely remember a chrisfix video with airbags iirc he just gave the bags 12v and he used multiple......, hmm

Personally, I would not use a different airbag other than the one that came with my vehicle or its direct replacement from same year, make or model. Also, there are recalls so you would not want an air bag in your vehicle that should have been recalled due to defect.

The sensors plug into the air bag module(computer), except for passenger seat occupancy sensors which pug into their own modules (called occupancy modules usually) and then they(occupancy modules) are wired to the main air bag module. The air bags themselves are wired to the air bag module.

People could get harmed or killed using something that was not tried and tested by the manufacturer when it comes to air bags so I would not change from OEM designs if the vehicle is going to be driven on public roads/streets/highways etc.

Air bags can be set off by voltages lower than 12 volts.

It is a worry to think of airbag changes, design differences etc. But from what I heard from a shop foreman at my Ford dealer, the airbag resistances are(were) all the same that this Ford tech knew about. I was asking about how to keep my 99 module happy without my passenger airbag installed(work space for my route). So he answered my question well by saying I just needed to match the resistance of the airbag. Then it turned out the seat airbag sensors were a problem, early vehicles without the seat airbags had resistors plugged into the wiring. Those often tripped the airbag light, due to changing resistance in the wiring to the module. I had to replace the 99 module with a 1998 module to fix that(99 was the first year of side airbags as an option(Limited etc)).

I keep a bunch of 2.2 ohm resistors in my tool box at work for diagnostics on air bag systems.
They come in handy to test if a clockspring or other wiring is bad or the air bag in the steering wheel it self has failed.
I work on all makes and models.
Nissans have become an annoyance to me because they end up in diagnostic mode which can be a pain to get out of.
You fix the problem and the codes all clear but the air bag light flashes continuously.

One I had to create a fault then get it out of diagnostic mode by key cycling at certain intervals 3 times, then fix the fault and clear the codes I created. Another one I had to time key cycling exactly after 7 seconds but before it hit 8 seconds, to get it out of diagnostic mode.
No other vehicle has been such a pain in the but when it comes to diagnosing air bag systems and I work on Domestic, European, Asian, and other imports.
My own vehicles, I have never had an air bag light on for anything either. Ford must be doing something right. LOL.

the more I work on other models the more I come back to my Fords
The engineering in a Ford is superior!!!!!

Back