• Register Today It's free!

Step by Step on Bedlining trim

dougb803

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie bauer
hey guys just bought my 2000 xlt and the first thing i wanted to do was put a black bedliner on the trim. so my question is what is the step by step process of putting bedliner on trim. from what ive seen so far the process looks like this

• wash trim peices thoroughly
  • sand down the trim ( how much sanding should be done )
  • put on adhesive spray
  • put on bedliner ( what kind, how thick of coats )
  • put on a clear coat once it has dried

any additions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't done it myself but I've heard of it not adhering to the plastic

I painted my '89 Ranger in Durabak bedliner (yes, the whole thing). I washed it all down with xylene (as per the manufactures instructions) and sprayed it.

I painted the plastic top part of the rear bumper on my '01 Ranger... I scuffed it with a fine scotch brite pad and washed it down with denatured alcohol, then sprayed it with Duplicolor bed armour. I think thats their better line of bedliner.

Wash thoroughly, sand, clean, adhesion promoter, nice thin coats. Yup, that's the general rule for applying coatings to plastics. Good luck and post pics when you are done.

How much sanding do you want to do, and what grit because the plastic trims on the bumpers already have their own pattern and too much sanding will mess that up

I did it to my trim pieces and just sanded them with one of those sponge looking sanders from lowes. After sanding i used acetone on them to clean them up. Also i would try to wash them before sanding to try to remove any dirt already on them.

Then i just used self etching primer and the spray on bedliner. It definately lost some of its texture after 6 months but still looks great compared to the ugly gray. Some people have recommended using an expensive UV protectant on it but i dont think its really worth it..

If i can figure out how ill show you some of the picture i took when i painted everything
edit:
IMG_2964_zpsf5bdb5b9.jpg

IMG_9237_zps8fa5b0ff.jpg

IMG_8617_zps41f6d9c0.jpg

IMG_2798_zpsf126a29a.jpg

IMG_2758_zps17e8bbb2.jpg

IMG_1566_zpsdccd0cfb.jpg

IMG_0187_zps61f98aaa.jpg

@Beerking27 yeah its not really too much the texture of the bedliner that im looking for. im trying to get rid of the gross ass gray. so you didnt use any kind of adhesive?

@FIND thanks! and will do when complete!

@snoranger did you use anything prior to the bedliner so that it would stick for longer?

now onto choosing between a bull bar and brushguard after this project is finito

I didn't use any type of adhesive just self etching primer so i didnt have to sand again after putting on the primer. I did do this during the summer though when the temps were around 80 degrees so not sure if that will yield better results for sticking to plastics.

I used this same method for the rear plastics, the front bumper plastics, the hood cowls, wiper blades, roof rack, and running boards

edit: I got a brushguard afterwards and im loving it, im about to mount my led light bar on the front. its worth it just for the easy mounting points

@snoranger did you use anything prior to the bedliner so that it would stick for longer?

Nope... And I still have bedliner on the fiberglass hood (the only part I still have from the bedlinered truck) 13 years and 2 trucks later. Damn stuff wont come off.

Best thing you can do is see what the manufacturer recommends. They usually know more about their product then anyone else.

Back