Stereo Intergration 97 W/Premium Sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Intergration 97 W/Premium Sound

bengates2860

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I have purchased a new head unit that only has 8 watts rms per channel @ 4ohms and 40 peak per. I think the factory amp has 15 rms per channel. I would like to integrate it to the factory amp. The unit has the regular hi level speaker outputs, but it also has a set of rca outputs. Could I just wire those up to the factory amp or does somebody make a harness for that. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently bought a new head unit for my '97 Explorer XLT w/ Premium Sound. Mine did not have sufficient RCA outputs for both front and rear speakers, so I had to adapt the speaker outs on the head unit to line outs for the stock amplifiers. Walmart sells everything you need to tie the head unit into the vehicle: the mounting adapter, and the harnesses. You actually need two harnesses for that vehicle, a direct input box (converts amplified signal to line-level) and the actual wiring harness, specific for the premium sound. If you need them, I can look for the actual brand & part numbers.

Thanks, I checked and my new had unit has four RCA outputs two for the front and two for the back, so I should be OK. I will try it first with those. I still need to get a wiring harness. Do you know which one you bought at Wal-Mart. Thanks.

Back