Stereo Problems

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
I currently have a system run by a Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP. It runs two Alpine V12 Expert amps that push (2) JL Audio 12W3s, JL Audio components, and JL Audio 6x9s.

I will be driving down the road and every now and then the highs will distort or just cut out completely.....has anyone else ever experienced this? I need some help. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Highs for the components? Highs for the 6x9's? Do you have anything biamped? If its the highs for the components and it happens when you hit a bump, check your cross overs. A terminal could be loose at one of the x-overs and when it shakes from the bump you will get the distortion or the tweets will cut completely.

what is the gain on your high's amp adjusted to? probably not a factor but it is something easy to check.......i couldn't tell from your original post but, does this happen often....while just driving, or ONLY when you hit a bump's or what?

Hmm.. it could be possible that the amp pushing your highs is over heating and cutting off to cool. Then again, I have a sony deck that does something similar when I have the heater running. It almost sounds like the cd's skipping, but its because the heater wents on mine are directly above where the deck mounts and it over heats the internal amp and wont let me turn volume up past 22. Maybe yours could be doing this?

Maybe it is the heat. Im going to check my front components and see if anything is loose. Looks like the amp rack is getting a fan! Thanks for the help.

i have an Alpine V12 Expert amp. 30x4
I am running the Alpine 7949 head - Ai Net to the ERA-G320 processor.
My amp has been doing the same type of think, but at low volume. If I turn the volume down low and/or have a disc in with a soft song on, the mids will distort and cut out just leaving the highs playing
(I have my MB Quarts Bi-Amped)
Once I crank it up loud everything is great.
I have been trying to pin the problem down.
I think it is the amp dying due to age (I bought it in 96-97ish)
I hope its not the head or processor, BIG $$$ to replace

Thats the exact same problem to the "T". At low volume it happens and as I crank it up it fixes it. My Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP CD player is only 2 weeks old.....so Im guessing the amp. Let me know if you figure anything out. Thanks.:cool:

Back