Stereo Upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Upgrade

Prdbyford1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
I hope I have this in the right forum, but I am in the process of replacing my factory stereo since the display went out ( as usual with these head units). I am installing a Kenwood DDX471HD and I bought all of the harness adapters. The problem I am having is I have no sound from the factory sub or rear door speakers. I hear a pop when I turn on the stereo, but no sound (and yes I have gone through all of the settings in the stereo LOL). I have seen a couple suggestions that Ford used a 6v power supply to the amp and not a 12v supply as most aftermarket head units put out. Best Buy suggested the same issue and that the over power sent the amp into protect mode and that is why I have no sound in the rear. I have seen a suggestion of wiring a 12v-6v resistor in to eliminate the excess power to the amp. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was your solution besides taking it to an installer? That would be my last resort. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Hi,
The amp uses a 6V trigger. This is not the power supply for the amp.
I used a 7806 voltage regulator for the trigger because that gives you a stable 6V supply (the resistor does not). I soldered tantalum capacitors to the pinouts (sorry no picture), but I think they can be skipped.
Hope this helps.

Back