Sticky gas pedal returns to normal after engine restart | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sticky gas pedal returns to normal after engine restart

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 5.0 AWD
Hi Guys,

I have 99 5.0 Explorer. Hope someone on here has had this issue before and can point me in the right direction.
I also Hope I can properly describe the issue.

Occasionally, after I get on the accelerator a little bit (Going uphill, or passing on the highway, pretty much when the truck downshifts for higher rpm's) the gas pedal gets sticky to the point where it is no longer smooth to accelerate (jerky until it gets passed the sticky part). The weird part about this problem is that if I shut off the engine everytime this happens the gas pedal/accelerator goes back to being normal(smooth).

Any insight on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure why the problem goes away after a restart. My sticky pedal was due to a frayed throttle cable. Replaced the cable and the problem went away.

Thanks for the reply Rick,

I have inspected my throttle cable and it appears to be in good shape.

I also ruled out the cable aswell because of the fact the issue clears when the engine in restarted. When it happens all I literally have to do is shut the engine off for a second and start it back up and my sticky gas pedal problem is cleared ?

This vehicle has cruise control, does anyone think something related to cruise control whould cause an issue like this ?

Is the gas pedal physically sticky? Or is the "sticking" only during acceleration?

The same thing happened to me, except it was also when I disengaged cruise control. Turn it off for about 10 seconds, everything was back to normal. I haven't had it happen since I hit the return spring and linkage on the throttle body with some wd40. No idea why it was related, but its been a year and I haven't had the problem since.

I was thinking TB or random miss-firing OR bad spark plug wires. NOT being a mechanic though is limiting my advice but I like to be of help.

AskingxforXit - Yes, the gas pedal phisically gets sticky, you have to press on it a little harder until it gets past the sticking point.

NSSJ2- Yes this sounds like what is happening to mine too, that is why I mentioned cruise control. I think the first time I experieced it was after I disengaged cruise control. I will spay down the return spring and linkage on the TB and see if it helps. I just can't seem to understand why shutting off the engine would clear something that seems to be mechanical if the TB or cable is actually the issue.

Thanks Guys

Pop the cable off the throttle linkage and clean the socket ball. Also take a look at the butterfly in throttle body. I bet there is carbon bilt up around it.

I had the same problem and after cleaning the throttle cable socket ball and throttle body the problem stopped.

Back