Still no 4lo, AHHHHHH

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Alright, i really need some help this time. I've got all the parts in need to get my 4lo to work with the manual transmission. I bought a computer from ford, $412, got it in today and it solved my miss that i had from the automatic computer, but it still doesn't engage my 4lo. I already have the clutch starter switch on the clutch pedal and of course the brake switch. I would have thought that the computer would have fixed it, but it didn't. One of the mechanics at ford told me that there might be a jumper or something that might need to be changed but he wasn't for sure, the guy that i need to ask is on vacation this week. What do you guys think? Anyone know of a jumper that would control the 4lo that is different from an automatic? Someone has got to know!!!!! Please help me! Oh yeah, isn't there just one motor that engages 4wd? Not seperate ones for 4hi and 4 lo? Thanks!

Happy trailes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just one motor.

I'm sure there is something that senses if the clutch is pushed in or not, that way it won't try to switch to 4lo while it is in gear. Not sure what to look for though.

If you have a faulty "SPEED SENSOR" :( , you won't shift into 4-Lo.

Speep sensor huh, well everything seems to be working okay. John--the clutch switch is what tells the computer that it is in neutral, cause i was thinking the way you were and that was the first thing i bought. SW--would that sensor cause my engine light to come on? Right now it's not that's why i was wondering. Which one is that by the way, is that in the back of the transfer case? Thanks!!

Happy trailes!

Just a thought... the jumper he was referring to might be on the GEM. That was part of a recall ~ a year and an half ago.

Back