• Register Today It's free!

Stock '97 CD Changer dead...

dchainey

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a '97 XLT. The stock Ford installed player/changer appears to be dead. Took it into the dealer and they wanted $480 to repair. Yeah right!

This has the am/fm/cassette/cd controller on the dash, with the 6-disc changer in the console. Can I replace the changer myself? If so, what is involved and where can I find a replacement?

Thanks,

Needing My Tunes & Frustrated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can check with a local car audio shop and see if they carry Peripherial, Blitz Safe or similiar adaptor. These companies make adaptors that allow certain aftermarket changers to work with your factory radio

those changers are cake to install nevermind replace, I do it for a living and it takes about 15 min to install a full cd changer with cable in explorers (except 02) 4 screws hold the changer mounting kit in place (under the center console) then that pops up and 3-4 screws hold the changer to the kit, thats it, as per getting a new changer ford is a ripoff if they charge u that much, we put new ones in for $400 dealer cost, bout $175 our cost. If ya need a changer try ebay, but watch what ya buy, or if ya want I have a few new and used here, I get em wholesale so their cheap. let me know how ya make out.

dchainey, I've got the stock changer out of my '99. I'll sell it to you for $100 plus shipping. You can check it out here Changer pics

Check here:

Dead Link Removed

Back