Stock lighting w/ a twist | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock lighting w/ a twist

Got an idea, but, I wanna know how to do it. First of all, I would like to be able to turn on my brights and have my brights and lows on at the same time. (I think they sell kits for that if anyone knows of a cheap one). Also, for those engeneers out there this should be a good challange. Have a 2000 XLT with fog lights. I like them for their intended purpose. However, they are bright and aimed quite nicely (for night time wheeling) I would like to add a switch. While in the off position (the new switch) the fog lights work like normal. (bright lights on and fog lights turn off automaticly) For wheeling, I would like to be able to turn the new aftermarket switch on, and the fog lights come on even though the brights on (a function I can shut off while on road) I like the stock fog lights. They are pretty good and would make nice off road lights (to see a lil. to the side and what is right in front of me (pot holes, ruts ect) while still being able to see ahead. I would like to add off road lights later, but for now I would like to work with what I got. ¿Can anyone help? Any engeneer up to the challange? I realize I might have to add some resistors and other small circuitry (no problem) just tell me how someone please if you can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Firstly, you don't want to run your brights and lows at the same time. They're integrated into the same bulb, and this will very greatly reduce bulb life. If you want more offroad light, get aux lights.

As for the fogs, the hardest part will be finding the correct wire. I'm assuming the stock system has an activation switch that goes from the headlights to the fog relay system. What you'd need to do is find that wire and cut it. Then, extend those 2 ends into the cab along with another 12V source. Then using an on-off-on switch, you wire it up accordingly so that one side bypasses the stock system and the other doesn't. However, this all hinges on finding the correct wire to tap.

Another option is to run an aftermarket wiring harness just like for another pair of lights. Then run both the stock and aftermarket power leads to the lamps and this totally bypasses the stock system.

Personally if I were you I'd get a front or roof lightbar and mount 4 lights, or get something like the PIAA multifunction lights and mount those on the front. Sounds like you need aftermarket 2 fogs and 2 driving lamps.

Thanks Alec

Yeah, I din't think about that whole 2 fillament bulb and reducing the life thing. As for the fog lights with high beams. going to try the extra switch thing. I like how they turn off when I hit the brights. but while wheeling, I wanna be able to have both but not loose the option entirely. (ya know what I mean.) Gonna review my wiring diagrams and see if I can figure out which wire to cut and add the switch. Thank you. ¿Just how huge of a difference is the silver star?

The Silvania Silverstars are fantastic bulbs for the money.

Thanks

Hey, I don't want to sound stupid or anything but, ¿You take out relay 2 and put a jumper wire in instead? The jumper wire takes the place of an existing relay or socket two is already empty?

You take the relay out.
Just do that, and when you turn your highbeams on on-road, hit your foglight switch so they turn off ;)

Those two wires for the jumper

Does anyone know which two wires those are in the wiring harness going up to the relay box?

fogwires.gif

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Nicaraguense
Hey, I don't want to sound stupid or anything but, ¿You take out relay 2 and put a jumper wire in instead? The jumper wire takes the place of an existing relay or socket two is already empty?

To do the mod, I removed the existing relay and replaced it with a jumper. Someone pointed out later that you could also cut one of the leads off of the relay.

Want to go back to "fogs off with brights on"? Turn off the stock fog lamp switch.

It is simple to remove the leg on the relay' a 3 minute mod.

It is great to run the fogs with high beams.

It can also be illegal. Check your local laws before doing this mod.

now i understand that is can be illegal- but why would anyone ever notice?

if your brights are on there shouldn't be a cop car close enough to you to be able to tell that your fogs are on or to care if they were... or am i the only one who thinks like that.

my lights are all wired independently- i have just piaa 110 watt fogs, just piaa 130 watt driving, just headlights (silverstars), or brights. or any combination there-of other than both piaas on at the same time, and headlights and brights at the same time.

at night i usually just use the regular headlights and switch the piaa driving on and off as brights (they are way brighter than the real brights making them pointless)

however, if it is truly foggy i will only run the fogs...

Cops would probably never notice if I sold/used Crack or Meth in my house......................that doesn't change the fact that it is illegal in some areas.

I understand where you are coming from, and for the most part, I agree. But running fog/driving lights with high beams is illegal is some states. I am just informing the author of this fact.

and i agree with the fact that he needs to be informed. if he didnt know he wouldn't know that he had to not get caught doing it.

There is only one reason that the fogs go off when the high beams are on and legality isnt it.
Its the same reason that your dim lights go off when the high beams are on. (two headlight systems cant be both but 4 headlight systems could)
When the high beams are on your sight follows the light. If you want to see further down the road turn off the lights closest to you so your vision isnt drawn to them.
What may be illegal is the ability to have the fogs on without the tail lights being on. Some law enforcement types think you may turn off your lights and run with just the fogs to loose a persuing officer.
Seems I have heard of some states w/veh. inspections checking that.

Aranskas is pretty laxed on that sort of thing

Arkansas is pretty laxed on that sort of thing. In fact, most people don't know it is illegal to drive with just the parking lights on (in fact Chevrolet hasn't figured it out their "daytime driving lights" are nothing more than the parking lights on some models) In Missouri I am told you can drive with just the parking lights on if there is fog and you are using your fog lights (to light the road underneathe the fog) Anyways, Arkansas is pretty laxed on everything. Arkansas (the only state in the Union that doesn't requiere covers on rock trucks) (I think that's our state slogan not sure). No state inspections in Arkansas to renew licenses anymore. Supposedly you get one anytime you get stopped. HA HA HA it never happens!!! But, if you Do get stopped and you have a tail light out (or you can get stopped for having your tail light out) or you windshield is cracked (thanks to those dainged quarry trucks) or something you can get a ticket. Other than that though, Arkansas is VERY laxed.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
There is only one reason that the fogs go off when the high beams are on and legality isnt it.
It IS illegal to drive in the state of Virginia with high beams and fog/driving lights on. The law actually states that fog/driving lights can only be used in conjunction with low beam headlights. Fog/driving lights are supposed to be wired to be able to only come on with low beam headlights, not by themselves and not with high beams.

I am sure Va isn't the only state with this law..................

Law schmaw... This summer in I would drive dark nights with my brights/fogs/pro comp fogs/KC daylighters all on at the same time... Man could I see the road!

Yes, doing the fog light mod is illegal, but it looks completely factory. Also, like expo5.0 said, if you're driving with your high beams, there shouldn't be anybody around to see. That is my theory with my aux. lights and stuff...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You got some kewl pics hookie

I wish I had mud tires. Shoot I wish I just had new tires instead of these bald 29" good years.

Back