stock speakers question

lekmedm

Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4WD
Hello all!

A quick question. I have a 1999 Explorer Sport. How do I know if I have the premium stereo system installed? What stereo options were there? I have the double DIN size stereo with both tape and CD.

What I really am thinking about doing is replacing the speakers with some Kenwood 3-ways I have in another Ford car that I want to sell. I just don't know it it's worth going through the trouble of switching. I may put in an aftermarket radio in the future, cash permitting. If I do make the switch, how do I get at the rear speakers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replacing the speakers before replacing the deck is pointless... unless you do both at the same time buy a new deck first.

I had the same rear speaker problem. I think if you take a key, or something like that, and wedge it between the the interior, and the "screen" that covers the speaker, you should be able to pop the screen right off. Try it from the top of the screen first. Then just undo the screws to get the speakers out.

I hope the explenation is somewhat understandable.

And as for the speakers being premium or not, it should say premium on the back of the speaker. If not, then I doubt they are.

And you shouldn't have to get a new deck for the 3-way speakers to sound good. It helps, but isn't necessary. It's not like you have to replace the whole wiring though.

But just to let you know, once the factory speakers are removed, it is a pain in the ass to get them back in. Thay are wiers in through a "plug", I guess you could say. They kind of plug in to the wiring, so you have to cut wires to get them out. If you get to the speakers, you will see what I mean.

If you need anymore help, let me know. I wired a deck and 4 3-way speakers into my contour and explorer. Even if you have a premium sound, aftermarket speakers sound better, in my opinion, even with the stock deck.

FHBasketball said:
But just to let you know, once the factory speakers are removed, it is a pain in the ass to get them back in. Thay are wiers in through a "plug", I guess you could say. They kind of plug in to the wiring, so you have to cut wires to get them out. If you get to the speakers, you will see what I mean.

Cut wires to get the speakers out?! They just plug into a wiring harness. Unscrew the speaker, pull it out some, unplug the wiring harness and pull the speaker out no problem. You can get a adapter harness that you plug into the the stock harness that plugs into the aftermarket speaker so that you don't have to cut any wires.

lostandconfused said:
replacing the speakers before replacing the deck is pointless... unless you do both at the same time buy a new deck first.

I disagree; better speakers will sound better no matter what the HU.

Good luck .........

Replacing a deck and keeping stock speakers would be ppointless IMO. I agree with the others that "real" speakers will sound better than the factory junk. Even if you had the "Premiums" you would still see an improvement.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think I'll go ahead and swap out the speakers.

I have some nice 6x8" 3-way Kenwoods in my 1998 Mercury Mystique that will migrate to the Explorer since I want to sell the Mystique.

Anyone interested in a solid, well-cared-for Mystique? :D

Quick Edit: How do I get to the rear speakers in my Sport? Do I just pry off the grill as was mentioned previously?

Back