Stolen key, dealership says can't disable remote door entry - please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stolen key, dealership says can't disable remote door entry - please help!

ktownkid

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
My keys were stolen out of my 2011 Ford Explorer. (I live in a smallish town and it was 6am, -40 outside so I left it running for a minute when I ran back in the house to grab something I forgot. I know, I know :( ).

Anyway, the dealership says they can order me a new key, replace the door and ignition cylinders, but can not disable the stolen remote door entry. I called Ford Canada and they said the same thing. A new key can be added, but the old can not be taken out of commission. This means whoever this person is, there were men's size 10 footprints up to the vehicle and back, they can get in to my vehicle at any time. Forever. They know where I live and my plate number.

I searched other threads and tried turning it from off to run 8 times in ten seconds and that doesn't work. Might just be for earlier models?

Anyone out there have anything else I can try?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This comment is based on vague recollection, so it may not be worth the electrons used to display it... (consider that my disclaimer please)

IIRC from my time at a dealer, the system can remember up to 8 keys/remotes. that said, if a 9th is programmed, #1 should drop out. So if this is the only way to eject a key from the system, you would need to program at least 10 remotes, the last two being the ones you have now. This would make your problem worse....

I cant believe there's no way to remove a key/remote from the programming using the IDS system at the dealer. Given that keys get lost/stolen, it would only seem logical to be able to remove one from the list. Remotes can be added, so it would be sloppy code to only permit additions to the database and not deletions. Maybe a tech can confirm what I'm thinking please?

Welcome to the Forum ktownkid.:wavey:
It would be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it always appears in the margin. I'm guessing you may have either a Base or an XLT since you use the term 'keys'. I don't believe I've come across this particular issue here before. If the key code is anything like the Securicode pad then they are likely right in saying that the master code cannot be removed. In order to change the current setup, the code in the engine immobilizer would likely have to be change and I don't know if that can be done.
I'm sure others that are more familiar with the system will jump in here and hopefully provide some insight that may help. The only thing I can think off right now is to install some kind of 'cut off' switch that would disable the ignition system.

I found this mentioned in a site I found doing an Internet search;
"..certain models require replacement of the Immobilizer Control Unit (ICU) or Engine Control Unit (ECU) in the case of a lost transponder key."
This seems to indicate that there might be a way to correct the problem but it will likely be a costly one.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum ktownkid.:wavey:
It would be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it always appears in the margin. I'm guessing you may have either a Base or an XLT since you use the term 'keys'. I don't believe I've come across this particular issue here before. If the key code is anything like the Securicode pad then they are likely right in saying that the master code cannot be removed. In order to change the current setup, the code in the engine immobilizer would likely have to be change and I don't know if that can be done.
I'm sure others that are more familiar with the system will jump in here and hopefully provide some insight that may help. The only thing I can think off right now is to install some kind of 'cut off' switch that would disable the ignition system.

I found this mentioned in a site I found doing an Internet search;
"..certain models require replacement of the Immobilizer Control Unit (ICU) or Engine Control Unit (ECU) in the case of a lost transponder key."
This seems to indicate that there might be a way to correct the problem but it will likely be a costly one.

Peter

What Peter said, for now install a cut off. Not hard to stick a big, high amp switch between the starter and battery.
Or use a high amp relay (if these exist?) between the starter and battery. This way you can flip a switch inside the explorer instead of having to pop the hood.
Good luck

Well I just reread your post. Never mind, that won't help you with keeping things from getting stolen out of your truck. If it comes down to it, install a locking safe and keep anything of value inside it. Maybe they'll get away with a stick of gum. But it's better than them getting away with your laptop.

Head over to Canadian tire and buy a new remote fob and program it to your vehicle.

You do need all your remotes with you... With that... The remote you don't have should be no longer able to be used on your vehicle...

Yes they can be erased with dealer software.

If any key is not present when the programming process is done (even at home with 2 existing keys), it will not work to start the vehicle or allow the keyless entry to work. The dealer is mistaken. Basically, when the dealer programs the new key the stolen one will no longer work.

It is even mentioned in the Owners Manual that lost or stolen keys can be erased:

Replacement of integrated keyhead transmitters (IKT) or intelligent
access keys

Note: Your vehicle comes equipped with two integrated keyhead
transmitters (IKTs) or two intelligent access keys.
The integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT) functions as both a
programmed ignition key that operates all the locks and starts the
vehicle, as well as a remote keyless entry transmitter. A maximum of
eight coded keys can be programmed to your vehicle; only four of these
eight coded keys can be IKTs with remote entry functionality.
The intelligent access key functions as both a programmed key that
operates the driver door lock, activates intelligent access with push
button start systems as well as a remote keyless entry transmitter. A
maximum of four intelligent access keys can be programmed to your
vehicle.
If your programmed transmitters or standard SecuriLock coded keys
(IKTs only) are lost or stolen and you don’t have an extra coded key, you
will need to have your vehicle towed to an authorized dealer. The key
codes need to be erased from your vehicle
and new coded keys will need
to be programmed
Replacing coded keys can be very costly. Store an extra programmed key
away from the vehicle in a safe place to help prevent any
inconveniences. Please visit an authorized dealer to purchase additional
spare or replacement keys.

It is even mentioned in the Owners Manual that lost or stolen keys can be erased:

Amazing what can be found in the Owner's Manual.

And also amazing how ill educated dealership employees can be.

thanks!

Thanks so much everyone! I can't believe that Ford Canada themselves couldn't even give me the correct information when I called there. :eek:

After you've been here a while you won't be that surprised. It's very unfortunate indeed that it does happen from time to time.

Peter

Hi Ktownkid...Kind of in a similar situation that your were in...could you please confirm if the ignition and door key cylinders had to be replaced? This is to make sure that the old key will not be able to open the door physically (2011 Ex XLT). I want to make an order for new keys but not sure if i should order new cylinders for the door and ignition also.

Could anyone also help with where reliable keys and cylinders can be ordered online from?

Thanks

What about simply pulling the fuse for the code lock and never using it again?

What about simply pulling the fuse for the code lock and never using it again?
The issue is the locks and ignition. Anyone with the missing key can still use it to open the door locks and start the vehicle. The dealer can apparently erase/change the immobilizer codes to prevent the starting of the vehicle but that wouldn't solve the locks issue.

Peter

Back