"Stop Leak" Coolant Additive. Which one? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Stop Leak" Coolant Additive. Which one?

the conditions our motors are subjected to are much worse than a fish tank. heating, cooling, freezing sometimes, or if youre me, possibly the pan scraping on a rock (i need a skid plate :p)

yes sir! all new heads, seals, etc! its supposed to be pretty much as good as new. if i ever pull my motor, its getting a remanned one...
Oh nice. A buddy of mine told me to sell the truck to buy one that's not leaking lol. I've put at least $1500 worth of parts into the truck in the past year and a bit. I will admit, I do feel guilty for leaving a mess everywhere I take this truck. 3-4 good size drops onto the floor from the truck just sitting 15mins. Still waiting to see if this Liquid Moly Oil Saver has helped it in any way. I'm not 100% certain but I do feel that it does. Just giving it more time for it to work, takes 600-800km after putting it in to see results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell ne more about how you cleaned the under carriage ive been trying to clean it off of built up gunk but can only tackle it small bits at a time. I need tips to make the proccess faster.
All I did was buy two cans of engine degreaser. Drove to the car wash, sprayed the entire under body at the front where the motor is and up where the oil pan is. Let sit for 15mins, drive into the wash bay and pressure washed it for $2. Didn't have to scrub, it was clean as can be after wards, was shocked seeing how dirty mine was. My entire under carriage was just soaked in oil from many many years.

pressure wash, decreaser, scrube where you can. if you want you can use somehting like gunk engine cleaner, or APC i typically use engine cleaner just to spray down large sections, then pressure wash and use apc and a medium bristle brush as necesary. then respray with the washer... usually thats how i clean it, seems to work fine, for mud at least
Thanks any area that i should avoid with pressure washer?

All I did was buy two cans of engine degreaser. Drove to the car wash, sprayed the entire under body at the front where the motor is and up where the oil pan is. Let sit for 15mins, drive into the wash bay and pressure washed it for $2. Didn't have to scrub, it was clean as can be after wards, was shocked seeing how dirty mine was. My entire under carriage was just soaked in oil from many many years.
Ill have to visit a car wash if i cant knock it down with my pressure washer thanks

Thanks any area that i should avoid with pressure washer?
electrical connectors, such as the tcase connector to shift motor, that kind of stuff. and make note of where there is supposed to be lubciration like the shift cable, and remember to relube that. thats pretty much it. and dont spray it too close, keep some distance, and use a wider spray, not the thin one, in order to reduce the pressure on a specific area...

Oh nice. A buddy of mine told me to sell the truck to buy one that's not leaking lol. I've put at least $1500 worth of parts into the truck in the past year and a bit. I will admit, I do feel guilty for leaving a mess everywhere I take this truck. 3-4 good size drops onto the floor from the truck just sitting 15mins. Still waiting to see if this Liquid Moly Oil Saver has helped it in any way. I'm not 100% certain but I do feel that it does. Just giving it more time for it to work, takes 600-800km after putting it in to see results.
i feel like i remember when you bought your rig, 2 or so years ago right? it was clean!!! i think its alright ;) i just park on the street when i see others, in order to avoid a mess... dont like a big spot on the ground...

edit: maybe it was someone else hwo bought a sport with aftermarket rims a few years back... huh

This coolant loss is starting to piss me off. Since I had my rad and the entire block drained of all the coolant in the truck and putting in all new coolant (about 8L), I ran the truck for numerous long drives over the span of a few days. No coolant loss, the coolant was always seen right at the top of the rad neck. Then today I check it and it's lost some coolant. So I put in half a bottle of K-seal and maybe 50ml of coolant to get the level right to the top of the rad neck again. I let the truck get up to temp, then run with the AC on hot for 25mins. Will let the truck sit for 30mins now and then go for a drive. The loss of coolant is so inconsistent. I thought maybe letting the truck run for 20-25mins and then driving off right away will completely undo the repair by K-seal so that's why I'm letting it sit for 30mins right now first.

Why not a gal of k seal ??
The money spent on sealants here would have likely paid for parts lol
Just fix it the right way

^^^^ sealants aint a permanent fix, and new parts saves headaches and also other potential issues! new project farm video idea: how effective is kseal as a coolant 🤣 running purekseal!

If the fix in a bottle isn’t doing it at the recommended “dose”, it’s time to either fix it properly or just keep fluids in the truck and check often.

I know I sound like a broken record, but when your fluids are more k-seal than coolant, STP than oil, and Lucas trans fix than Merc V, bad things will start to happen.

I know that leaks are annoying. My buddies who flew the F-14 used to tell me that it was normal to walk out to a jet with drip pans underneath—the old saying was ‘if she ain’t leaking, she’s empty.’ I flew a few older F/A-18s that were like that with hydraulic fluid. But as long as the hyds were serviced (topped off) before flight, I never had an issue.

Reminds me. I’ve been topping off my PS res for a while…time to replace that leaky pump!

i feel like i remember when you bought your rig, 2 or so years ago right? it was clean!!! i think its alright ;) i just park on the street when i see others, in order to avoid a mess... dont like a big spot on the ground...

edit: maybe it was someone else hwo bought a sport with aftermarket rims a few years back... huh
Your Explorer is leaking too? I park this truck on the street at home and I have a large diameter of oil stains on the street from this Explorer and the previous beater car I had to this, that I bought for $400 and drove it for 3 years putting 68k km on it and no issues aside from an oil pan leak. I never put any sealants in it, just regular oil and it never got worse over time. Best car ever, $400! I didn’t fix that one either because the motor required to be lifted to get to the pan. It was a 96 Buick Regal. It leaked the day I bought it and still the day I got rid of it lol.

One of the best motors I’ve ever had. Always started no matter the weather. I still miss the car, eventually the water pump went and I didn’t have the money to get it replaced so I ended up selling the metal to a shredder for $250. I deeply regretted it, it was such a reliable beater. And down the road, it’s why I ended up getting the explorer because this time I wanted 4x4. I think you can now see why I want to hold onto this explorer as long as I possibly can? I’m a believer that it’s bulletproof

Your Explorer is leaking too? I park this truck on the street at home and I have a large diameter of oil stains on the street from this Explorer and the previous beater car I had to this, that I bought for $400 and drove it for 3 years putting 68k km on it and no issues aside from an oil pan leak. I never put any sealants in it, just regular oil and it never got worse over time. Best car ever, $400! I didn’t fix that one either because the motor required to be lifted to get to the pan. It was a 96 Buick Regal. It leaked the day I bought it and still the day I got rid of it lol.

One of the best motors I’ve ever had. Always started no matter the weather. I still miss the car, eventually the water pump went and I didn’t have the money to get it replaced so I ended up selling the metal to a shredder for $250. I deeply regretted it, it was such a reliable beater. And down the road, it’s why I ended up getting the explorer because this time I wanted 4x4. I think you can now see why I want to hold onto this explorer as long as I possibly can? I’m a believer that it’s bulletproof
oh yeah, these things dont die! mine leaks from the RMS, its annoying but a fact of life. i put sealant into it to keep it from leaking, but im beginning to just accept it

Oil pan leaks are from oil draining back to the pan while running. There is oil in the gasket material or behind it, under it etc. If it was a massive fast leak, then you might be smart to do an oil change. But for most leaks, let it set several hours before cleaning it and coating over the area.

Also be sure to snug all of the pan bolts first, which should have been the first step in hunting the leaks.

It's like a full day 8-10 hour job just to do the oil pan and gasket on the OHV. It would cost me at least $1000CDN and that may not even include the gasket and pan and oil.

I've spent $105cdn or so to date on 3 bottles of K-seal. Only half a bottle is currently in the system since the entire rad and block was drained of coolant last week.

oh yeah, these things dont die! mine leaks from the RMS, its annoying but a fact of life. i put sealant into it to keep it from leaking, but im beginning to just accept it

How bad is your RMS leak? How many drops onto the floor while running and when off after a drive? I've learned to accept my leaks too but this past week I was getting overly excited in attempting a patch to stop the leak.

not sure when its running, let ir sit overnight and its got maybe a small small pusdle, if i go to the store its just a few dripe, nothi bg bad... now its alot less with at205 in the system, its now just a few drips overnight

not sure when its running, let ir sit overnight and its got maybe a small small pusdle, if i go to the store its just a few dripe, nothi bg bad... now its alot less with at205 in the system, its now just a few drips overnight

That doesn’t sound bad at all. It’s too bad the AT205 won’t work on the oil pan gasket, otherwise I would order two bottles to try. Looks like the stuff only works on seals.

yeah it aint bad, its just annoying making the garage slippery, and driveways slippery in that spot... just gotta keep an eye on the level and its all good!

yeah it aint bad, its just annoying making the garage slippery, and driveways slippery in that spot... just gotta keep an eye on the level and its all good!
Your RMS leak sounds about equal to my oil gasket leak. Maybe we can mount plastic shields or buckets on the underside? lol

Your RMS leak sounds about equal to my oil gasket leak. Maybe we can mount plastic shields or buckets on the underside? lol
lol!!! mine drips onto the cat and it smells like its burnin off... BBQ anyone? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol!!! mine drips onto the cat and it smells like its burnin off... BBQ anyone? :D

You're lucky that yours goes onto the cat and burns off right away. A friend of mine has a very leaky Matrix that's leaking in a bunch of spots and he's lucky that his oil drips onto his motor and just burns off right away and he doesn't leave a mess. I would love to have that. Leaving the mess at places is what I don't like.

Back