"Stop Leak" Coolant Additive. Which one? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Stop Leak" Coolant Additive. Which one?

ah i see, yeah most of mine drips onto the cat and just burns. but some makes it to the ground too, also depends on temprature... i remember when my tstat used to leak it would smell sweet! 2 leaks at once aint fun!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as it isn’t ATF. ATF is quite flammable, and cars catch fire from ATF + hot cat

lol!!! mine drips onto the cat and it smells like its burnin off... BBQ anyone? :D
I had my trans dipstick to leak and dump 2 quarts on my cat that smelled great

You can replace the o-ring(s) on the dipstick, I believe.

I don't get it. I put in k seal. It works for 3 or 4 days where I don't need to top up coolant and then I will check it the next day and I can't see coolant at the neck of the rad?

Is this normal to not see coolant right at the neck of the rad cap? I'll put more coolant in and I can somehow fill 250ml more in.

Then the other day I let the truck sit for a whole day and the rad cap was overflowing of coolant that some splashed out. Why such different reading levels?

Is this normal?

I think I'm losing coolant from the rad. I remember a mech checking it out over a year ago and said I have a crack in the rad. Wondering if I should just replace it. But I don't see any coolant dripping from the rad to the ground running or off.

I think I'm losing coolant from the rad. I remember a mech checking it out over a year ago and said I have a crack in the rad. Wondering if I should just replace it. But I don't see any coolant dripping from the rad to the ground running or off.
Pressure test it

i had a leak from a bad radiator core that would weep slowly enough with the truck off that it didn’t really show any signs, and when the truck got hot and the system pressurized, it would push more coolant out AND cook most of it off…so once again, very little sign. You could smell it cooking off though.

Pressure testing will make it show itself, but DO NOT OVERPRESSURIZE unless you like fixing things.

Go to a auto parts store a rent a pressure tester

Ok thanks Ill ask my store.

i had a leak from a bad radiator core that would weep slowly enough with the truck off that it didn’t really show any signs, and when the truck got hot and the system pressurized, it would push more coolant out AND cook most of it off…so once again, very little sign. You could smell it cooking off though.

Pressure testing will make it show itself, but DO NOT OVERPRESSURIZE unless you like fixing things.

Oh I see. Did you end up replacing your rad? I'm contemplating if I should just replace the rad, buy a third party one new. I know for sure that my rad has a crack in it and the mech at the time said I should replace or fix the rad. So unless my heads are leaking (which I'm showing zero signs of it), and I've put on 25k km on it in the past year, I'm 99% certain it's the rad that's leaking the coolant. And something very similar to what you describe it, the coolant doesn't drip to the floor. It's either this or the intake manifold gasket (had the upper one I believe replaced less than a year ago).

How much coolant were you losing per day or week?

I did order another bottle of K-seal and it will be here tomorrow. Am gonna throw this bottle in first and see if it fixes it. Right now, I only have 1/2 a bottle in the system. It could just need more.

If you have a confirmed crack, replace it. Don’t even waste the k-seal.

I don’t remember how much, this was probably 4-5 years ago, but it was a lot. I could smell it in the truck lol. It was an aftermarket rad that was only 18 months old. Replaced under warranty, no problems since.

replace the rad, dont bother with sealants, they aint nowhere near a permanent fix imo. fix it once and fix it right, imo

@98FordLove - Before you do anything else, you should find out WHERE your coolant leak is located. Additionally, more-and-more-and-more K-Seal isn't the solution. In fact, it could cause other problems (clogs). To solve your problem, get a loaner pressure-tester from your local auto parts store. Then, read-up on how to do a pressure test. Then, proceed based on the results of the pressure test.

If you have a confirmed crack, replace it.
I don’t remember how much, this was probably 4-5 years ago, but it was a lot. I could smell it in the truck lol. It was an aftermarket rad that was only 18 months old. Replaced under warranty, no problems since.

My big concern is that I could have coolant leaking from both the rad and the upper intake manifold. The lower was replace just last year. Where is the upper intake manifold gasket. Where do I look for coolant if this spot is leaking? So far I don’t see or smell coolant in the engine bay.

Just don’t want to pay the money for a new rad, only to find out it’s got an upper intake manifold leak and that one is worse.

I checked the rad just now and the coolant was right at the top. Just so weird how some days it’s full and other days I don’t see any in the rad.

And I’ve been driving this truck a lot lately, I now use it for deliveries too.
At my second job.

If you have a confirmed crack, replace it.

My big concern is that I could have coolant leaking from both the rad and the upper intake manifold. The lower was replace just last year. Where is the upper intake manifold gasket. Where do I look for coolant if this spot is leaking? So far I don’t see or smell coolant in the engine bay.

Just don’t want to pay the money for a new rad, only to find out it’s got an upper intake manifold leak and that one is worse.

I checked the rad just now and the coolant was right at the top. Just so weird how some days it’s full and other days I don’t see any in the rad.

And I’ve been driving this truck a lot lately, I now use it for deliveries too.
At my second job.
yeah radiators are expensive. an alt is to pull one at a JY and flush it out, if money is tight.

yeah radiators are expensive. an alt is to pull one at a JY and flush it out, if money is tight.

I found this, $162 can, taking this is a good brand.

I believe the crack in my rad is at the top. But I know for sure it has a crack. Shocked the seal patched it and it held up for a year.

What. I don’t get is. Why ain’t I constantly losing coolant? Some days I can go 3 or 4 days and not losing any coolant from checking the rad neck and then all of a sudden the next day I don’t see any coolant from the neck and I’m able to put 250ml of coolant in the neck.

If I’m losing 250ml of coolant or so, is that enough of a loss to cause air to get into the system again? Meaning in other words, if I lose this much do I need to rebleed the cooling system again? Just worried that little small air pockets have got in.

somethings gotta fill the dead space ;) though when you put new coolant in, it might displace most of it, but i'd bet theres a little bit left. imo at this point why waste time and extra $ on sealants when one can just one and done fix it imo...especially cause you drive it to deliver now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

somethings gotta fill the dead space ;) though when you put new coolant in, it might displace most of it, but i'd bet theres a little bit left. imo at this point why waste time and extra $ on sealants when one can just one and done fix it imo...especially cause you drive it to deliver now
True but that's if the rad is the culprit and not the upper intake manifold. What do you mean by displacing it? I just find it weird how my coolant losses are so inconsistent. If I could get a handle of how much I lose in say a week I'll feel better. The past 2 weeks I would pop the hood before driving it each day. Seriously the neighbours think my truck won't start or it's just junk
Because they see me popping the hood so much ha.

Back