Straight pipes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Straight pipes

MarineSNiper217

Reaction score
Ok, I know this question has been asked before, I have done a search for "no exhaust?" and come up with a few answers, BUT, is there anyway to run straightpipes from the cats back? Like, can I put something besides a muffler in there to get the backpressure the Xplorer apparently needs... A friend of mine has a big Dodge pick up runnin straight catback pipes, and I want the same kind of sound, is there a way? If not, what kind of muffler would give me the best sound/performance?

Magnaflow
Borla
Flowmaster 40? 50?
Dynomax Super series

:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll want a muffler for some back pressure.

I have a dyno-max.

It's way to soft for me. It has a really sweet gurgle at idle, and it sounds OK while at WOT, but other then that it sucks.

I can't wait to get a Morgan-Tec
I've herd sound clips on-line that sound absolutely bad ass!
Good price too: http://www.morgan-tec.com/

V8 or V6?

Its the 4.0 V6

A V6 with straight pipes will sound like a propeller airplane. Try and research what ever it is that nissan does to their V6 exhausts. The V6 350Z sounds bad ass. Don't know if you can get that same sound from the Ford 4.0L though.

A V6 with straight pipes will sound like a propeller airplane.

I'll 2nd that. My old jeep with the buick V6 and stubby glasspacks that turned out in front of the rear wheels sounded like an airplane too. Many guys told me the same thing. It was OK on an old jeep, but I think it would be goofy having an Ex sound like that.

if you want go with glass packs. they are straight through.

I second that. Also going with a single pipe instead of dual will sound better on the V6.

Unless of course you transplanted a 4.9 V6 into your Ex. That engine sounds awsome with dual pipes no muffler!!!

alotta people seem to like the flowmaster 50 suv. Allegedly they deliver a deep loud sound with out the sudden out bursts or drone of hollowed mufflers.
Ive heard those dodge pick ups everyones chopping up the exaust on. The grummble is loud but low in quality, if your just looking to shake some ground and wake the neighbors get a flow master 40 with out delta tech. the origanal. their a little harder to find.
The reason these dudes with the dodges and the f 250s with straight pipes arent noticing performance loss is because they werent using it to start with. The trucks were designed to pull massive loads. Take two identical pick ups one stock exaust the other straight putt them at them bottom of a steep hill full to the brim with dirt, and see who gets to the top at all. spinning the tires and swooping to the next traffic light requires much less torque than the vehicle was designed to handle.
no back presure no low end
And as far as just noise goes if you light a firecracker it pops loud w/ a high pitched echo. The same big old firecracker in someones mail box sounds like the japs are back for more:roll:

mine sounds horrible. just like an airplane like many said. i think im going to do some work to it.

i cant comment on other mufflers but i just got an IMCO put on yesterday and it sounds sick...it is currently just dumped out of the muffler but im getting the tail pipe put on today...it is loud...not annoying but loud and it doesnt sound ricey what-so-ever...it's got a sick burble, almost crackle to it when you are de-accelerating...just something to look into...

like dirtbro said, if you want loud, get the IMCO. Its the IMCO Extreme to be exact. I had it, but it was TOO loud all the time, so I went with the original 40 flowmaster.

Don't forget the direction you have the pipes pointing changes the sound from inside the truck.
Whether out the side, rear, straight out & dumping down.

Cherry Bombs suck. Also straight exhaust sucks. I took my stock exhaust off, ran a short pipe to make the hanged then an elbow down and it sounded like crap till you hit 3k rpms and even then it wasn't deep. I didn't experiance any gain or any loss using either setup.

i just cut my exhaust off right before the mufller (5.0) and its loud as balls now. im gonna get exhaust eventually, but for now, its staying like this...was in the way for airbags. lol

if you run it straight and stick i big enough tip on it (echo cans as we call them here ) you may be able to get a good deep sound:salute: :salute:

Why so loud?

lol ok thanks, im just TRYING to find something that will make it LOUD, any Ideas?

Don't forget that in essence the explorer is an off-road capable Grocery-Getter.... Why do you want it really loud? IMHO Your better off with a deep throaty sound to make your added performance known but not unwelcome.

My explorer has a V8 but that V8 has to pull near 5000 pounds (4860 to be precise) . Definitely one of the heaviest SUV when you compare weight to size.

No matter how loud it is, it's not a race car.

Don't forget that in essence the explorer is an off-road capable Grocery-Getter.... Why do you want it really loud? IMHO Your better off with a deep throaty sound to make your added performance known but not unwelcome.

My explorer has a V8 but that V8 has to pull near 5000 pounds (4860 to be precise) . Definitely one of the heaviest SUV when you compare weight to size.

No matter how loud it is, it's not a race car.

and what do you tow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back