Strange springy kind of creak from front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange springy kind of creak from front end

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer V8
Alright I have noticed now, that when I go over a bumpy road or something I can hear a creak. Not a squeak, but a creak. I've put the lower ball joints on back earlier, at that time my uppers were still really tight. My tires don't lean out or in. I have no tread wear problems, my vehicle rides smooth. When I go over a rough spot in the road the bottom doesn't feel like its going to fall off. (like before I replaced my lower ball joints.) I have no steering problems. I have noticed that when I shut one of my doors, especially the front ones I hear the creak, and when I set down in my explorer, or step on the running boards. It sounds like springy creaky metal.

I believe this sounds as if i could be your upper or lower control arm bushings. You can try and spray them down with a silicone spray, that might help. Also, check your sway bar link bushings as those can also make such a sound.

Mine was the inner tie rod end. I took off the clamp and sprayed some oil in. That was two years ago, still quiet

Back