• Register Today It's free!

Stuck in 2wd Low

CRMW

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Ab
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
A friend of mine was driving my 93 explorer on the highway at about 110 Kph (70 MPH) when the transfer case shifted into 2wd low. The shift motor seems to be working as I can shift from 2wd low to 4wd low, but it will not go back into high range either 2wd or 4wd.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only idea I have is that it broke a shift fork. Not a fun thing to fix,,,but not the worst to repair either.

Are you sure it shifted to LO?
Cauz if it shifted to LO at highway speeds, I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have much of a transfer case left.

Yup it shifted to low, he told me the engine rpm jumped to about 6k when it happened. I'm still driving it, strating off in 3rd & top speed in 5th is about 80 km / hour. I pulled off the shifter motor last night and it is working fine. I guess it is time to split the case. I have another one that the case itself is shot on (the chain slipps every time the the vehicle is decelerating) so hopefully I can use it for parts.

Chris

With the motor off can you move the shaft? What model TC do you have?

CRMW said:
Yup it shifted to low, he told me the engine rpm jumped to about 6k when it happened.
Dropping out of overdrive probably does the same thing at those high speeds

There is no question, it is still in low range, I have been driving it starting in 4th. I don't know what model of transfer case it is, is there any way to tell spot the differences?

If its a 93 then it should be a BW1354.

Back