Stupid me, wrong tranny fluids | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid me, wrong tranny fluids

daisyrocky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I've changed my transmission filter on my 1993 Explorer this evening and added 5 quarts of "Type F" in it and ran the truck for 15 minutes then realized it supposed to be Mercon at the dipstick.
I quickly dropped the pan and let the fluids drain again. What did I mess up now and how to get the remaining fluid out since there is no torque converter drain plug? Any inputs is deeply appreciated.

It'll probably be fine since you didn't use it much.

You can take your choice of either just filling it up with the proper fluid and maybe doing an earlier change interval down the road, or let it drain overnight, pouring in a little bit of the proper fluid to flush out whatever Type F is left on the bottom, and then filling up.

A small amount of Type F in a few quarts of Mercon won't make much difference. Most of the time, you're only changing part of the old fluid anyway, since whatevers in the torque converter and doesn't drain out from any other passages just mixes with the new. To do a proper change, you usually need to drain and refill more than once over a period of days/weeks, but some people just make the fluid change intervals shorter instead.

Thank you much for the feedback. I will do a flush in the morning.

Back