• Register Today It's free!

Stuttering 04 Sport Trac.

14ersforfun

Reaction score
City, State
Denver Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
I'll do the best to describe the symtoms and remedies I've tried on my 04 Sport Trac.

It has 103K on it. I had the 100 K service done at about 98 K. Around 100K I noticed very rarely it would stutter when taking off from idle. It is now nearly constant. I have a superchips installed so can get and research the DTC's. Mostly I'm getting: po171 (lean bank1) po174 (lean bank2) and occasionally po300 po304 (missfires), which seem to coincide when I don't baby it through the stuttering.

Based on my internet research the common theme has been MAF sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, or a vacuum leak.

I put a bottle of Gumout high mileage fuel injector cleaner in a near empty tank, filled the tank and it ran just fine for the first 3/4 of the tank...then the problem returned?

I then removed the MAF and cleaned it with carb cleaner which specifically said safe for electrical parts including MAF sensors....nope.

I bought a new MAF sensor on ebay, installed it. Doesn't present the same area of stuttering off idle, now hesitates mid range and stalls out. Old sensor back on.

Unable to locate exact information on where the fuel filter is. One thread said it was underneath a gaurd....nope. I think I found it but am not sure, in any event it should have been replaced at the 90K service.

stumped....so here I am trying to avoid a costly dealer attempt to repair it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the 2001-2005 Sport Trac section. You might have a vacuum leak, bad gasoline, leaking intake manifold gaskets, bad spark plugs or a bad DPFE sensor.

The P0171 & P0174 is most probably the PCV Elbow ........ (examine the underside of the elbow)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261852&highlight=PCV+elbow
http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/m...IEW=1220672&REPLYCOUNT=7&sitename=mysporttrac

Fuel filter is behind a shield, of sorts, on the left frame rail, retained to a bracket via a worm drive clamp. Buy a pair of good fuel line tools, 5/16" & 3/8", for this and future fuel system repairs. They're cheap, can be bought off of eBay.
88_1.jpg

FuelFilterLocation.jpg

Back