Sun Roof Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sun Roof Install

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome!! I have been wanting to do this for a while, just never knew how.

Thanks!!

one more question, did the piece of sheet metal you cut out of the roof have ridges in it? or was it flat?

Probably....

I used a drill to get the holes big enough..
Then I used a jig saw.

someone should cut a whole like for the sunroof out of their x, and put a hinge so its a simple flip open sun roof. That's cost like $1 and have potential for win.

one more question, did the piece of sheet metal you cut out of the roof have ridges in it? or was it flat?

Had ridges
And no dont have a final picture.
But it doesnt leak at all or anything.

thanks for the write up...i should be tackling this on my 94 XLT soon..i am heading to the bone yard sat it the first day that its going to be in the 50s in the past few months..hope i find everything i cant wait to get my sunroof in

I would not install the old pop up 93/94 type, they don't seal well at the back, and the seal is obsolete. Do the 95-01 type, it's about the same labor, but you have to add one power wire and the overhead console with the switch in it.

I would not install the old pop up 93/94 type, they don't seal well at the back, and the seal is obsolete. Do the 95-01 type, it's about the same labor, but you have to add one power wire and the overhead console with the switch in it.

I've though of doing that to my Ex's seeings how its bout the same amount of work and you get 2 styles to have the sunroof open. Either pop up or make it slide back under the roof.

Oh yes, the headliner will be a difference, I should have mentioned that. The later style needs more interior space, so you'd need to also get a headliner from a sunroof model. I don't have that, I'm looking for those myself.

Back