• Register Today It's free!

Sunroof leaks in Florida--HELP

Hohmanb

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
So it's rainy season here in SW Florida and the sunroof in my 93 limited leaks on my head/lap while i'm driving. Is there a sealant or do i have to purchase all new weather-stripping? It's raining as i write this so a quick response would be very much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the weatherstripping, or is the sunroof not closing all the way?

I took a couple hard bumps when I went over some railroad tracks a little too fast and it knocked the glass up off of one side of the thing the raises and lowers the glass. When the knob was closed all the way there was still about 1/4" gap between the glass and the roof. The fix was easy, just had pinch the little red clips so the glass would sit back down to where it's supposed to. No leaks since.

If it's the weatherstripping, I'd go ahead and replace it rather than trying to smear sealant on there.

Is it the factory pop up style like on Limited's? My 93 Limited leaked recently whenever it rained, while stopping. The weather strip around mine was allowing too much water inside. There is a drain pan which collects the water, and two hoses to drain it out the front A-pillars.

I found a weatherstrip piece at Green Sales. The part is obsolete, and from Green Sales it was $50 or so. Call Ford for the part number, then Green Sales. Good luck,

You could try some silicon spray. Worked for my 94. just clean the gasket with a soapy rag, let it dry, then lightly spray. Worked best when I took the glass all the way off, then worked from the hole it created.

Also, if you want a quick 'pitstop' fix, dab some petrolum jelly on the gasket. Nice even coat all along will keep the water out & does not damage the rubber

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to go check to see if the glass closes tightly first, then i'll check into the prices for weather-stripping

I wouldn't waste your time with trying to "patch" it. I know the rain you get,;) it's a waste. It's likely the seal.

If your talking about the moon roof, I have the same problem. On mine, The braket that holds the window tight to the seal on the roof broke. So check those.

Back