Supercharged 02 Sport | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharged 02 Sport

Pro-M Calibrated meters are junk,that is coming from a SCT certified custom tuning dealer.
I will not argue this,
The whole company is a POS as far as I'm concerned.
My pro-m has given me so many headaches, I will not even sell it to a stranger. I will enjoy watching it burn!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pro-M Calibrated meters are junk,that is coming from a SCT certified custom tuning dealer.
Junk I don't know about, but waste of money yes. They are way overpriced, as is grantelli's MAF system. There are only select injectors out there, and FMS makes a MAF for each rating. Stick with FMS, never have a problem

JTS, what injector are you runnning?

Just left ford, since I had to drop off the aviator for a service call. Parts says you're wrong. I agree with parts. Now, I do know that you can use any 19# calibrated maf with any 19# injected vehicle (ford to ford) For instance, a town car maf with work on an X. However, as I have stated and Ford has confirmed, an MAF for 24# injectors will not PROPERLY function on a 19# injected engine. The MAF would send excess voltage and excess fuel and you'd run rich, and vice versa the other way round.

I should know from the mustangs as well, as I have tried a 19# MAF on a 24# injector. Nothing but problems when I did it with idle quality. Bought the FMS 24# MAF and idle was instantly corrected. I don't think there is a tuner out there worth his salt that will agree with you, and I know Ford says you're wrong, so how can you make the statement that you're right?:thumbsup:

Also, I have played with excess tubing and long run intake pipes. Takeing my current setup with just a 90` elbow in front of my supercharger, idle MAF voltage is around .92 Add several feet of piping to run down to the front end and get a true cold air style intake, idle MAF voltage surges to 1.14 or so. These MAF are extremely finicky and using the wrong one without being able to read voltages will cause CEL lights and poor performance. And just for curiousity's sake, which MAF are you running?

FMS MAF's are afremarket still, so they only work with injectors they are calibrated for. Yes you can get one calibrated for and size injector you want, but they just arent like that OEM. The fact that OEM MAF's from vehicles are interchangeable is because the voltage ramping is similar. You are pretty much lucking out that they interchange.

You can put a MAF from a '94 Cobra onto a '94 GT and it will work perfectly, but the part numbers are different. The SCT 90mm (2400), which is not calibrated, is a direct replacement for both the '03 Cobra and '03 Lightning which use different injectors.

Try putting a MAF from a 4.6 Mustang on a V10 F250. They both use 19lb injectors. It wont work.

I am using 30lb injectors with a stock Lightning MAF- but wait, how could it possibly work if it is calibrated for 42lb injectors? I should be running lean all of the time, but I dont. If you were right, my truck wouldnt run, but it does. I am tired of this arguement.

OK boy genius, you know more than Ford does. Congradulations, maybe you should try for the CEO position since it changes hands every few years.

FMS MAF's are afremarket still, so they only work with injectors they are calibrated for. Yes you can get one calibrated for and size injector you want, but they just arent like that OEM. The fact that OEM MAF's from vehicles are interchangeable is because the voltage ramping is similar. You are pretty much lucking out that they interchange.

Thats funny, my FMS part number matches exactly to the Ford part number for my 90mm MAF. But I guess the aftermarket guys just thought they'd fool me and stamp it like a factory part cause I'd like it better.:salute:

And, just wondering, but the beginning of this post started with you stating
The Lightning meter is not calibrated for any specific injector. No OEM MAF's are calibrated. The exact same meter is used in the 03/04 Cobras with 39lb injectors.
Yet now you state that each is different but the voltage ramping is similiar. SO its not but it is, and it shouldn't but it does. You must be a democrat.

JTS
Why such a big injector if you don't plan on running forced induction?

MAF has a table that it relates to. The MAF Transfer Function is the MASS of air moved to crate a certain voltage/AD Counts. The Meters are different because they are by displacement and PCM Calibration code. The bodies for most are the same, the electronics are varied. The PCM is programmed for the injector size. The MAF tells the PCM a voltage, the PCM looks up that voltage on the MAF Transfer table and equates it to a Mass of air. The PCM determines the PW needed for the injectors that are programmed and we have combustion.

Can you use a different meter with a different injector? Absolutely, but not for the reason you think. There is a correlation between the MAF sample tube and the injectors, but it is not the right way to do it.

SCT tuners (like myself) prefer to use the factory or SCT MAF's becasue they are known units that don't lie to the PCM. Liers cause problems.

I have used Pro-M and Pro-Flow pieces. Compared to the tunbbility and throttle response of the factory pieces they were absolute crap. I dropped serious coin on two different meters to "tune" my supercharged 3.0L Ranger and they all ran like crap. Used 30# injectors, and SOHC MAF and got an SCT Flip-Chip programmed for them and bingo! Fired up turn of the key, idled right and passed emissions.

Go ahead and swap away, but when it comes time for a PCM tune, remember, we charge by the hour. You can take our recommendations and get emailed a file that is 98% dead on, or you can spend all day on the dyno... its not my wallet.

JTS
Why such a big injector if you don't plan on running forced induction?

I had a Powerdyne in hand, the whole kit was in garage.

I went camping, came back to find, someone needed it more than I did.
They also needed my dvd player, and safe.

I will have a remote turbo some day.

MAF has a table that it relates to. The MAF Transfer Function is the MASS of air moved to crate a certain voltage/AD Counts. The Meters are different because they are by displacement and PCM Calibration code. The bodies for most are the same, the electronics are varied. The PCM is programmed for the injector size. The MAF tells the PCM a voltage, the PCM looks up that voltage on the MAF Transfer table and equates it to a Mass of air. The PCM determines the PW needed for the injectors that are programmed and we have combustion.

Can you use a different meter with a different injector? Absolutely, but not for the reason you think. There is a correlation between the MAF sample tube and the injectors, but it is not the right way to do it.

SCT tuners (like myself) prefer to use the factory or SCT MAF's becasue they are known units that don't lie to the PCM. Liers cause problems.

I have used Pro-M and Pro-Flow pieces. Compared to the tunbbility and throttle response of the factory pieces they were absolute crap. I dropped serious coin on two different meters to "tune" my supercharged 3.0L Ranger and they all ran like crap. Used 30# injectors, and SOHC MAF and got an SCT Flip-Chip programmed for them and bingo! Fired up turn of the key, idled right and passed emissions.

Go ahead and swap away, but when it comes time for a PCM tune, remember, we charge by the hour. You can take our recommendations and get emailed a file that is 98% dead on, or you can spend all day on the dyno... its not my wallet.

Thanks for your accurate, yet neutral, and informative explanation. A little education and understanding can go a long way.

Rocket, I never stated that I would even think of using a Walbro style in a returnless system. They just will plain fail due to thier inability to be pulse width modulated. But I have tuned several 'Stangs with return style systems and Focus pumps and my truck has a return style system and the Focus pump just doesn't like to be run in a return style system(wear is premature). As stated earlier there are no checks to hold the fuel which is drained back to tank after sitting and the problem list goes on with a return style system,which is why I swapped to the Walbro. This isn't just with mine either. These problems followed with all of my custom tuning customers which were using the Focus pump as well. The Focus pump has a place and in a return style environment isn't where it is at. All of this can be verified through SCT as well. They dont recommend using a Focus pump in a return style they always recommend using a properly sized walbro. Yes a Focus pump can be run in a 100% duty cycle but not highly recommended because it was never designed for that!

I never implied that you did say anything about using the Walbro being used on a returnless system. I know you know better than that. I was just saying it to clarify what it seemed some might misunderstand.

Does a Focus have a return system or returnless?

What is the lph of a focus pump?

SVT Focus's are returnless fuel systems.

A single SVT Focus pump will flow about 220LPH @ 40 psi fuel pressure. To give you an idea, that is just above what a single 03 Cobra pump will flow. A pair of SVT Focus pumps when compared to dual 03/04 Cobra pumps will net you about 85-100 LPH more flow @ 40 psi fuel pressure. Now if you were to add a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump then things become even more interesting.

SVT Focus's are returnless fuel systems.

A single SVT Focus pump will flow about 220LPH @ 40 psi fuel pressure. To give you an idea, that is just above what a single 03 Cobra pump will flow. A pair of SVT Focus pumps when compared to dual 03/04 Cobra pumps will net you about 85-100 LPH more flow @ 40 psi fuel pressure. Now if you were to add a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump then things become even more interesting.

Having the above said, it sounds like a Focus pump will NOT work with my 99 Mountaineer 5L as my rail pressure is a constant 64 psi.....??? (not under boost) only does it go above 64psi when I hit 5 # of boost does it go to 72psi with the FMU and boost pump.

Having the above said, it sounds like a Focus pump will NOT work with my 99 Mountaineer 5L as my rail pressure is a constant 64 psi.....??? (not under boost) only does it go above 64psi when I hit 5 # of boost does it go to 72psi with the FMU and boost pump.

That is just a flow rating at a given fuel pressure. All fuel pumps are rated in that fashion. It can and does operate above 40 psi, but I just stated it that way to give it a standardized way to compare to other fuel pumps.

If I remember, you have that funky hybrid fuel system. I forget the exact configuration of it offhand. If you could tell me how it is designed again I could give you an educated reccomendation of whether you could/would want to go with such a pump as one from a SVT Focus.

Hello?

hey there. another update. played around with my exhaust setup. right now from the cats back I have a glass pack and a turn down. Little louder than desired but I like the tone.

didnt read all the posts, but you can get a Lighting MAF for around 40 bucks. go to www.svtperformance.com and search. I got my 03 cobra MAF (90mm) for 50 shipped....

the link I click takes me to a forum... I cant find anything for purchasing the MAF

the link I click takes me to a forum... I cant find anything for purchasing the MAF

It is a forum. Go to the for sale section and do a search. You can find a lot of stuff for your truck there. Also go to www.modularfords.com and go to the sale section. A lot more parts for sale in there. :thumbsup:

I never implied that you did say anything about using the Walbro being used on a returnless system. I know you know better than that. I was just saying it to clarify what it seemed some might misunderstand.

10-4, I understand. We usually see things the same! That is scary someone thinking on my wavelength. Thanks for the clarification.-James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

10-4, I understand. We usually see things the same! That is scary someone thinking on my wavelength. Thanks for the clarification.-James

Simple - You both have been sniffing race gas way to long. :)

Back