SuperTech ST8A Cut Open - Unknown mileage [Video] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SuperTech ST8A Cut Open - Unknown mileage [Video]

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
As some of you may know, I recently bought a 1994 Ford Explorer as a non-running parts vehicle. I've since done a little work to get it running, just to see what I have. Naturally, I did an oil change on it since I know nothing about it's history. It looked like the oil filter had been on there a little while, quite possibly one of those "change the oil but not the filter" kind of owners. The vehicle did sit for a couple years so I could be wrong on that last bit. Anyway, I took apart the filter and made a video about it. I'm not super knowledgeable or an oil pro by any means, I just like to take a peek inside and see what's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_i9lO_otgU

I've cross-posted this to Bob Is The Oil Guy forums just for ***** & giggles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That filter is OLD. But sometimes people buy such things in bulk if they're cheap enough. I tend to keep parts sitting around sometimes.

That filter is OLD. But sometimes people buy such things in bulk if they're cheap enough. I tend to keep parts sitting around sometimes.

I thought it was old due to the styling on the canister. The previous owner told me he hasn't run the vehicle in about a year and a half. The battery being totally dead and unrecoverable backed that up. However, it was last registered 4.5 years ago. For all I know, it hasn't run in that time. He could have also been one of those people to change the oil but not the filter. So, realistically, it could be 5-6 years or more old. When I initially took it off, it looked like there was sludge in the bottom. The oil is dark but not really gritty.

Yikes! Check those brake lines! Every car I ever had sit for a long time had a brake issue develop! Hope the rest of her cleans up nice.

Probably right, if it wasn't registeted for over 4 years, I doubt the filter was changed.

Yikes! Check those brake lines! Every car I ever had sit for a long time had a brake issue develop! Hope the rest of her cleans up nice.

Probably right, if it wasn't registeted for over 4 years, I doubt the filter was changed.

I'm not super concerned about the brake lines. I'm sure they're crusty but so are the ball joints, radius arm bushings, bald & dryrotting tires, transmission, most likely shocks, AC system... on and on :) I mostly just like it for the engine, electronics and virtually rust-free frame, hence getting the oil changed quick. The engine seems to be about the only thing that was maintained reasonably. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the trans fluid is factory, or at least has been in there 15 years.

Thanks to the crew over at Bob Is The Oil Guy, they pointed out the obvious; date codes are stamped on the bottom. The filter is from August 2010.

Back