shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
Gentlemen,

I'm now in the process of stripping removable frame components for POR-15.

Spindles, Backing Plates, Caliper Frames, Froward Gas Tank Bracket Etc are done.

Dropped the entire lower LCA assembly after indexing Torsion Bar for transport to the office for sand blasting before paint.

Found whats left of a blue insulator pad between frame and rear torsion key reaction plate.

The bolt and threaded cross piece are still in there. I have to take measurements before I pull those out.

I have not done any research yet but hopefully these insulator pads are still around?????

Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found "isolator" part number in this 2005 thread. Searched 2L2Z-5B335-AA part number and available from several sources.

As always confirm fitment. Good luck!

Torsion Bar Adjuster Insulator??

@swshawaii ,

Found this old thread too.

Torsion Bar Isolator?!?!

Dang thing looks to be nothing more than an indexed iron plate with a Teflon or Polyurethane spacer glued to one side.

Both of those part numbers will work, there was a later number and even a 3rd I think in the Rangers to 2011.

I thought those pads would never wear out, I discovered how that was wrong, in my 98 Limited. My 99 Limited had perfect isolators in it after 77,450 miles, and my 98 Mountaineer had no wear on its, at 160k miles. But my new 98 Explorer they were worn to nothing last year at about 200k miles.

I bought three new ones I believe, two went in my 98 last year. The different part numbers have different prices, the best seem to still be under $40, some were $70 or more last year.

99 Torsion bar isolator.JPG

Thanks Don,

I just wanted to be sure before I jumped into the wrong part.

I decoded the P\n and see that the difference between the [2] P\n's in question that I have, is a divisional responsibility.

So in the essence of time I'll get the parts online.

Either way I plan on holding the old plates and getting some pour-able polyurethane from Energy Suspension and building a frame so I can re-pour a backing for these.

Eventually I'm going to gut out and old 4R70W transmission mount and pour a poly mount for it too since those are made of
Un-Obtanium....

The isolator pads are two components, the steel backing, and the pliable material. I wouldn't pour my own unless I had the spare material and the old pads were worn down like mine were.

The cross member I plan to take measurements and try to talk Brian into making a few. Those seem fairly straight forward to make, except for the odd angles they are made into. The left and right halves are not symmetrical, so it will take careful measurements to make one, plus the amount the trans pad needs to come down(to make room for the common Mustang urethane mounts). I was hoping to find another spare one from a JY to work with.

The isolator pads are two components, the steel backing, and the pliable material. I wouldn't pour my own unless I had the spare material and the old pads were worn down like mine were.

When my old ones came out the plastic backer shattered like glass.

[2] New plates on order and should be here next Thursday.

I'm going to keep the old metal backer plates and experiment on those.

When my old ones came out the plastic backer shattered like glass.

[2] New plates on order and should be here next Thursday.

I'm going to keep the old metal backer plates and experiment on those.

Interesting. My 99 pads were still pliable, felt like typical urethane, so I thought they all would be the same.

Back