• Register Today It's free!

suspension question

Grizz593

Reaction score
City, State
Poughkeepsie, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Exp limited 4X4
I have a 98 5.0 XLT that I noticed quite the lean to the drivers side start about a year ago. I shrugged it off as a tilt in the driveway but finally noticed that it is getting worst. there is now a 2 inch height difference between the top of the front tires to the bottom of the fender. Is there a known issue with the suspension? I called Ford & the local dealer was just guessing & telling me it was my coil that was broken & they seemed quite confused when i told him i had leaf springs. when i sight down under the truck you can see the right side lower control arm is flat planed & the left has the proper tilt. I just do not think a broken leaf in the rear could cause the entire side to tilt. I only have 65K on the truck, replaced all shocks, replaced upper & lower ball joints & bushings.
so my question is if this is major $$ to repair & get it to original condition would it be a wash or a few bucks more to put a small lift kit in it instead?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just swap the rear leaves around, ie right becomes left. And adjust the front torsion bars (do a search for torsion twist or TT). Then it would probably be a good idea to get an alignment.

Welcome to the site.

If you a looking for a small lift 1-2" you can do the torsion twist up front and an add-a leaf in the rear, or some longer shackles.

I had asked about adjusting the torsion bars & I was told they are non adjustable. on a quick inspection i believe they are correct on that. I see no adjuster nut. I do believe i have an issue with the rear leafs because the shackles are dam near horizontal. I had an alignment done last year after installing the new ball joints & bushings.
I may just install new leafs & shackles. this will be the cheapest i hope.

I always wanted to lift it but not go crazy & have to mod everything under the truck.
I also want to dump the fake dual exhaust to get the 5.0 breathing right. I love racing & beating the little rice burners in my 4 door all wheel drive truck :)

i have to stop reading so quick I just re read you reply & totally missed what you said XD

perfect!

hardest thing for me is finding a level spot to do this in. Think I need to hit up my brother-in-law for some space in his garage.

could the torsion bar adjuster backed off to have caused this lean? I have been plagued with a rattle for the longest time when riding over rough roads. I had suspected the ball joints at first but after replacing everything & all bushings I still have the noise. Only thing I was going to try next was the sway bar bushings but with a load on them they look fine.

If everything checks out ok in the rear would you suggest changing the leafs & shackles anyway? or add this
ACTIVE SUSPENSION KIT

It's not your Torsion bar that is causing the lean. It is a common explorer problem. It happens because your gas tank is totally on the drivers side. This along with the weight of the driver over the years causes the drivers side leaf spring to sag more than the passenger side. You could just swap the leafs but either way you have one leaf spring sagging more than the other. Best solution imho is to just get new leaf springs. I have the lean and am planning on getting lift springs and doing the TT.

sounds like a good plan. I would hate to do all the work of swapping them & still have old parts that will have to be replaced one day soon. I like to do things right & only once. Now i have to find a decent set to install. Any suggestions on what brand? I would like to lift it about 1.5 as well so i need to find a longer shackle with that as well.

I found a local place that all they do is suspension work on trucks. They can reshape & retention the leafs & add an extra leaf to get the desired 1.5 inch lift I want for around $650. I can drop it off in the morning & have it back that afternoon. If i were to do it myself all i would be saving is 200$

by the way...what the hell is that 3rd shock in the rear for? I had this truck for 10 years & even changed the shocks in it myself & never noticed it before. I assume it is some type of stabilizer or anti torque thing.

Back