Swap out the fuel filter fitting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap out the fuel filter fitting

FORD FOR LIFE

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EDDIE BAUER & XLT
So the original fuel filter fitting on my 2 Explorer were damaged before I got them and fuel filter replacement has been next to impossible. (Even with using the easy disconnect tool as the fittings are already bad).

On one while removing I damaged the already damaged fitting and ripped the pipe. I got a mechanic to swap out the filter and fitting from another car and left a "kink" spot to the point of probably damaging my fuel pump.

On the other Explorer I did manage somehow to replace once or twice but after a stuttering idle and revving I tried to remove, and the clips have become damaged. I also discover the filter is clogged - so on another post I saw folks not wanting to replace the fuel filter - better to do it at least every few years just in case, since the fuel pump on my first one got damaged, mostly likely from a clogged filter.

Coming to my question - is there a fast and easy way to swap out from another Ford or generic off the self - the pipes and holder/fitting and fuel filter to splice onto the original fuel line. As even the 800-063 (from memory) nylon and fitting - which I have bought but not used comes in a pair but are of two different diameters! So really you have to buy 2 "kits" and only use one fitting from each kit.

Thanks in advance.

damaged fitting.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm tracking this thread because I'll be replacing my fuel filter soon... for the first time... now at 152,000 miles.

I'm tracking this thread because I'll be replacing my fuel filter soon... for the first time... now at 152,000 miles.
Why rush, the filter has 30,000 mile replacement recommended life.

He's gonna start plotting planning now so when it's time to replace IT IT's easy

The trick is to buy the best fuel line disconnect tool
And some lube

Amazon product ASIN B08XYV9DRY

@Pete Deering - OK... you got me actually, genuinely laughing out loud! Thanks for the dry humor (seriously). And @donalds is pretty-close-to-correct... I am in fact "planning it out" because I've learned that to do anything on my 24-year old truck takes a tactical approach that's well researched and spot-on, otherwise something won't go as planned, will break, or both! LOL!

These so called "quick disconnect" fitting are the most miserable things I have ever encountered. On any make of vehicle. When I tried to remove the one from my fuel pump I soaked it and worked it for days on end. Finally took the bolt cutters to it and bought a replacement kit at O'reilley auto parts. Had to buy the 5/16 and 3/8 sizes. Only way they had them. Tell you what, that fitting slides on and locks nicely and the tool releases it sweetly. It's made of some kind of high tech plastic. Will never corrode. This is what all mfg should be using.

These so called "quick disconnect" fitting are the most miserable things I have ever encountered. On any make of vehicle. When I tried to remove the one from my fuel pump I soaked it and worked it for days on end. Finally took the bolt cutters to it and bought a replacement kit at O'reilley auto parts. Had to buy the 5/16 and 3/8 sizes. Only way they had them. Tell you what, that fitting slides on and locks nicely and the tool releases it sweetly. It's made of some kind of high tech plastic. Will never corrode. This is what all mfg should be using.
Now that makes sense! Finding replacements at junkyards at best will get more difficult. Any links? Did you keep the OEM fuel pump and just replace the filter?

I spent two hours this morning on my 05 and could not get the filter out due to the special fitting you have to push in. I have a set of plastic filter removal tools that will slide in there but I could not push the filter towards the tool hard enough even using a 10mm wrench to push in on the plastic tool. Also the bracket that holds the fuel filter was gone as well as the shield that needs the 10mm nuts. I believe I can figure this part out easily enough if I can get that one end of the fuel line off.

I did see one video where the guy really struggled to get those fitting pieces holding the filter on pushed back. However I was able to push very hard and I couldn't get it off. There's not much room to work in there so you hands can take a beating if things don't go smoothly. I should add I've done maintenance on cars for over 50 years and have changed a number of fuel filters over the years so anyone else if you have trouble don't feel too bad about it. I can't believe I couldn't change a fuel filter.

Now that makes sense! Finding replacements at junkyards at best will get more difficult. Any links? Did you keep the OEM fuel pump and just replace the filter?
Replaced the fuel pump unit.

Back