Sway Bar End Link Fun!

DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
Driving along today, I heard a loud pop. And when I say loud pop I mean, I thought someone fired a gun under the truck.
I knew it came from the front passenger side and pulled over right away to find this..

ySTFmQfl.jpg

o4s29rXl.jpg

The end link literally just got shredded at the top.
Of course this had to happen after 9PM, when all the parts stores close.

I'm still going to drive it, I know it'll have a bit more body roll, but all the shocks are new and the entire front suspension is new.. except the end links.

Any advice on getting the old link out?

On a side note.. Completely unrelated I noticed a pretty bad leak from the same area.. You can see in the second pic.. Any thoughts/ideas?

Dom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

saws-all. the OE end links suck (strange design, prone to rusting). Moog now has a quality replacement with neoprene bushings and large diameter bolt (PN K700542) $8.32 each on RockAuto.

saws-all. the OE end links suck (strange design, prone to rusting). Moog now has a quality replacement with neoprene bushings and large diameter bolt.

Yeah, I redid the front suspension with all Moog parts.

Any idea bout the leak, I have more pics if needed.

Yeah, I redid the front suspension with all Moog parts.

Any idea bout the leak, I have more pics if needed.

hard to say from your pic. front axle seal maybe?

hard to say from your pic. front axle seal maybe?

Just replaced the front axle seal since that was leaking. Now I have no idea anymore.

eX28mJ5l.jpg

c5lxDqQl.jpg

x0wABAal.jpg

It feels and smells like an oil, and it's leaking pretty bad.. so it doesn't make sense to me.

could be a steering rack leak a buddies 01 sport had a leak at the rack cooler and it ran down the passenger side like that

could be a steering rack leak a buddies 01 sport had a leak at the rack cooler and it ran down the passenger side like that

Exactly what I wanted to hear.. I know my power steering was low the other day. So this would make great sense. :D

hope i helped it can be frustrating to find the source of these leaks

likewise if your ever in the Kw area, i get into To on occasion

yep, looks like the rack is leaking in your second set of pics.

yep, looks like the rack is leaking in your second set of pics.

And I'll probably let it leak and just top off the fluid every so often.. Not worth the cost of repair.

And I'll probably let it leak and just top off the fluid every so often.. Not worth the cost of repair.

yeah, even a reman rack isn't cheap and changing one on a 4wd/AWD is not an easy job. you could try adding some Lucas Power Steering stop-leak, but it didn't work for my last rack leak. it's guaranteed to work after up to 2 bottles (i didn't put in the second bottle, just replaced the rack).

yeah, even a reman rack isn't cheap and changing one on a 4wd/AWD is not an easy job. you could try adding some Lucas Power Steering stop-leak, but it didn't work for my last rack leak. it's guaranteed to work after up to 2 bottles (i didn't put in the second bottle, just replaced the rack).

Guaranteed to work and plug all your power steering lines by the second bottle.

Back