Swaying 2014 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swaying 2014

jim lock

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 eddie bauer
Just test drove a Loaded 2014 Limited, thinking of trading my 2007 EB. I don't know if I can explain this right but I took it on a test drive and on the road it seemed to have to much body roll around turns, like not being stable. Don't know if anyone has had same experience or not. would appreciate any input. Telling me i'm nuts would be ok too. Thanks in advance Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, drive a different trim level maybe to see if it was just that unit/trim? My 2013 is the most planted SUV I've ever driven, no body roll or that weird out of control feeling you get with some of the bigger SUV's.

Just test drove a Loaded 2014 Limited, thinking of trading my 2007 EB. I don't know if I can explain this right but I took it on a test drive and on the road it seemed to have to much body roll around turns, like not being stable. Don't know if anyone has had same experience or not. would appreciate any input. Telling me i'm nuts would be ok too. Thanks in advance Jim

Jim,
I've not noticed excessive body roll on my new '14 Ltd. It seems to handle very well.

Would the recall have anything to do with it?????

Tires must be at 35lbs cold, if it was sitting on a lot thru some colder weeks or even days it may not be 35, and not low enough to trigger the TPM.

My TPM went off and when I checked, the tires were at 25lbs on one of the coldest days of the season while sitting in the garage.

I was hoping it would go off earlier than that, and that even it might display a TP in the dash but guess not.

Improper tire pressure would be my first guess also.

I would say test drive another one and see if you get the same effect.

My 2013 Limited 302A is the most stable SUV I've ever owned. If you check past issues of the "buff mags", you will see that they agree. It's no Corvette, but for a crossover it's pretty damn good.
BTW, I run 38psi constantly, (that's 3 psi over).

Might I suggest you take a 2014 SPORT for a test drive, very little body roll in the SPORT 37% stiffer then the other models.

Might I suggest you take a 2014 SPORT for a test drive, very little body roll in the SPORT 37% stiffer then the other models.

Was going to be my suggestion as well. Very big difference over the Limited we test drove!

I agree with everything written above; but coming from a 2007 EB Explorer, any trim 2014 should be considerably much more stable on turns.

The current model Explorer has a wider stance than previous models, so it stands to reason body roll would be reduced.

I've had my 2014 Limited for 7 months, while I drive far more cautiously than from years back I have taken a turn or 2 too fast and there is no body roll as you would find in other bigger, heavier SUVs. This model also sits a little lower than previous models, so this too will reduce body roll. I believe they designed it this way on purpose.

One issue I had when I 1st drove this model Explorer when I rented it before purchasing one was staying in my lane.
I realized the problem was the width of the explorer and the hood design.

There is more of the vehicle in the lane. It actually took me a while to not drift. I suspected it was the reason ford added the lane keeping assist option.

I do find the vehicle rock steady to drive and truly love driving it every time I get into it.

It rides and drives like a car.

How were you driving when you felt it swayed too much. High speed? Heavy acceleration? ????

Thanks for all the input.
Driving on a 4 lane about 45mph and took some curves and changed lanes. Talked to dealer, they also talked about tire pressure, driving a sport and even trying an Edge. Maybe it is the contour of the new vehicle, I've owned 6 Explorers and something was not right with the 2014. Forgot to mention it was a demo fully loaded and had 6,000 miles on it. Going to dealership today. Thanks again Jim

Back